Tank water blue after white spot treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloelaura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

My fish had the symptoms of white spot so I went and got some treatment from pets at home. I carried out the first dose, let it work for 24 hours, then did a small water change. Yes I know that May have taken the medication out but it's over with now and the symptoms seem clear so let's not mention that part.

Today was the fourth day and I did anther water change and applied the second treatment and it has turned my water a blueish colour. Apparently this is fine and normal etc but I'm obviously still slightly concerned because it didn't go blue the first time and I inserted the correct dose.

Is this actually okay and will my water go back to normal on its own or are my fish going to like die and/or be stained blue?

Ps. I myself have been stained blue :(

Hi guys,

My fish had the symptoms of white spot so I went and got some treatment from pets at home. I carried out the first dose, let it work for 24 hours, then did a small water change. Yes I know that May have taken the medication out but it's over with now and the symptoms seem clear so let's not mention that part.

Today was the fourth day and I did anther water change and applied the second treatment and it has turned my water a blueish colour. Apparently go this is fine and normal etc but I'm obviously still slightly concerned because it didn't go blue the first time and I inserted the correct dose.

Is this actually okay and will my water go back to normal on its own or are my fish going to like die and/or be stained blue?

Ps. I myself have been stained blue :(

Hi, pretty normal with meds like malachite green or methylene blue as they are dyes. Your ornaments may get stained but this should fade. Fish will not die / be stained (assuming they can handle correct dose). Don't get it on the floor or even rinsing in the sink I've noticed it will stain :(

I'm not sure why it didn't go blue the first time. If there was a lot of organics this might have soaked up some plus the second dose would be adding to the first to some degree. I've noticed it can take a quite a few water changes for the colour to fade.

It's not as blue as it was earlier-- or maybe I'm just getting used to it haha! But thanks very much, I did do a google search but I trust you guys more :) at least I got the dye off of my skin.

It wouldn't come off when I was just washing my hands but when I went for a bath and soaked for a while it came off eventually!

Back
Top Bottom