Tankmate suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now, I've got 10 tiger barbs and 4 dwarf gourami (2 male 2 female...ummm, any suggestions on male to female ratios?) in a 40G. There's a pleco in there too, but he's moving to a different home in the next couple of days.

Anyway, curious on suggestions to join them. I might want to add more gouramis, but these guys just aren't that active (being intimidated by the barbs?) and I would like something that moves around a little more.

Looking to hear some good ideas!

Gouramis are generally calmer swimmers. Danios move around quite a bit, but Tiger Barbs tend to bully everything smaller than them from what I've seen. Otherwise I'd recommend Harlequinn Rasboras. Can anyone else shed some light on the aggressiveness?

so far the barbs haven't been a problem. they're a big enough group at 10that they don't have to pick fights with other species. there was a small bit of nipping for the first 5 minutes the gourami's got introduced, and now it's been a week and everyone is happy as a pig in poop

supermazz9 said:
Right now, I've got 10 tiger barbs and 4 dwarf gourami (2 male 2 female...ummm, any suggestions on male to female ratios?) in a 40G. There's a pleco in there too, but he's moving to a different home in the next couple of days.

Anyway, curious on suggestions to join them. I might want to add more gouramis, but these guys just aren't that active (being intimidated by the barbs?) and I would like something that moves around a little more.

Looking to hear some good ideas!

I'm thinking you're done stocking and should count yourself as lucky that your DGs aren't shredding ea. other. (tiger barbs aren't "tiny"). Other fish would probably get eated or grow to cause bioload issues.

Back
Top Bottom