Tankmates Blue Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talulaspongecak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Boyfriend is the fish guy (cats are my thing). I always just go with whatever he says (again, cats are my thing).

We have a 5 g tank with 2 neon tetras, 2 X-ray tetras, an algae eater, and a blue gourami (I think).

Anyway, my BF called me at work today. The gourami killed an X-ray tetra, and maimed another. I told him to put both fish in separate glasses, and I would buy a bowl and tank on the way home.

I ended up with a 2.5 g tank. The gourami is in a bowl, and will be moved to that tank until I decide what to do. I just bought the tank that I had $$$ for, so I could separate fish, and figured I would straighten it all out in a day or two.

I want to move the tetras to the 2.5.... What can I put with the gourami?

I don't want another gourami, because I don't want them having babies.

Also... I have a studio apartment in Brooklyn (which means VERY limited space).

You are way overstocked. Those fish are going to die in a five from aggression and poisoning. You need at least a twenty for the tetras and gourami if it's a dwarf blue, a true blue needs much more space. The algae eater- send a pic. We need to determine what it is to figure out what gallonage it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The algae eater is 1/2" long, at best... Probably less.

Everything I have read said the tetras would be fine in a 2.5. (There are 4 tetras).

Also... My BF has been keeping fish for 30 years... I usually just go with what he says.

Where did you read about these fish that told you those tank sizes were optimal?

These links are from a popular fish website. It's the gold standard for tank sizes for most common fish.

Neon tetra
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Neon Tetra Jumbo

Blue dwarf gourami
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

X ray tetra
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: X-Ray Pristella Tetra

"Algae eater"
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Otocinclus Catfish

The tetras and oto cat are all schooling fish that need to be kept in groups of 5+

As for the gourami, some of them can be super temperamental and apparently this is what yours is. Without a larger tank there's not going to be anything that will really be safe from him. Another gourami is especially a no no because they are very territorial towards each other.

Really, 30 gal for Otos? That seems excessive. I never saw schooling after the first two weeks (it's a peaceful tank with tetras and cherry barbs) which can be normal. They swam like crazy from side to side initially, now just hang out at the algae spots (filter tube, heater, etc.) The occasionally eat from the veggie wafers I toss in for the barbs. 4 of the 5 are left (one died) and I have not had any probs thus far.

Really, 30 gal for Otos? That seems excessive. I never saw schooling after the first two weeks (it's a peaceful tank with tetras and cherry barbs) which can be normal. They swam like crazy from side to side initially, now just hang out at the algae spots (filter tube, heater, etc.) The occasionally eat from the veggie wafers I toss in for the barbs. 4 of the 5 are left (one died) and I have not had any probs thus far.
Yep, they can fit in a 10, but they are very sensitive fish and eat themselves out of home in a smaller tank.

There is nothing you can put with the gourami in a 5 gallon tank. Re-homing the gourami would be the best solution, sorry to say. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom