Tankmates for a school of mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody,

I'm running my starter tank right now, it's a 30 gallon freshwater tank with six dalmatian mollies. They are each about an inch and a half and not yet fully grown. It's going to be a while before I add any more company in there because they will get bigger, but I wanted some opinions from people with experience.

I'm looking to eventually add two more fish of the same species, or one if it can thrive being the only one of its kind in the tank. Keep in mind the tank is slightly brackish for the mollies and that if I get a single fish it should be a little bigger than the mollies. I have no idea whats out there, so throw me some ideas!

Thanks,
Shaun

Swordfish and platys are two I can think of off the bat that would do well with them. Swordfish tend to be the most aggressive of the three. Mollies do well in a brackish water tank with smaller scats and monos too.

Tetras, guppies, and swordtails are what I can think of. But be careful you will have babies. Also guppies, swordtails, and mollies can all cross breed. I once knew some on that had a fish that was mainly guppy but had a sword on it. It was awesome.

I'm not too sure that tetras would do well in brackish water. I know that they can tolerate some salt, but I'm sure it's not at the brackish level. Most of them are fish that come from very soft water in South America.

Guppies however are the sherman tanks of the fish world. Not too strong, but very, very hardy!

I've seen a few pet shops with siamese fighter fish in the same tank as dalmation and 'orange' mollies - they seem okay together, but some people say that some betta fish are aggressive, and others aren't- depends on your individual betta fish apparently! they are really pretty fish, and are able to adapt to all sorts of water conditions too, but i think most people would advise having a spare tank just in case things get nasty, if you did decide to go with siamese fighter fish! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom