Tankmates for male beta in 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello my sister has had this male beta for a few months now. He was originally in a 3 gal tank but he is now in a 55 gal all alone. We were wondering what would be the best tank mates for this make beta. We are going to put some cory cats in forsure but would like some more fish so it's a true community tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The mistake I made with my betta in a 55 gal community tank was he is red. When he sat in the plants, other fish would look at his long red fins draped in the plant and think they were blood worms, hence his fins were nipped and he was evicted from the community tank.

I would stay away from known fin nippers and stay away from other fish that look like male/female bettas.

you would have to have very peaceful fish as the betta does not swim fast

Neons are usually a pretty safe bet. They're pretty fast and they're peaceful. My betta chases my neons once in a while so far no harm.

Sent from my iPhone

I've had cory cats and plecos with my betta I've seen some people put angels with bettas but you have to be careful because angels have long fins it just depends on the temperament of your betta. I've heard mollies and platys as long as they're not lyretail. I've heard gouramis and bettas living peacefully but only in a tank that's 4'+. Like I said it all depends on the temperament of the fish.

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom