Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of turtle?

In general do not add anything to a turtle tank that you do not want to end up as turtle food eventually.

The safest options are fast fish like long-bodied (pond) goldfish, cichlids, and few carefully selected others. There are many things that will effect compatibility though, like: tank size, turtle species, turtle size, how it was raised (with fish?), what it has been fed (live vs. pellets), filtration, decorations, water change schedule, and individual personalities.

think of fish that are compatible in ponds and if possible put the kinds or a variaty of the species w/ them :) .

lol there is no reptile section tho ;)

A lot of people keep plecos with them but I wouldn't...just another giant waste producer and they can hurt the turtle's shell.

Some turt's can live with larger fish and no go after them and some can't. I would have to say most can't. It's just the food chain. It's like putting a cat in a bird cage...probably gonna lose some birds. My RES would have to be scared of it or he'd try to eat it :)

i know theres no reptile section,its just that a lot of people think turtles are amphibians.i also wouldnt suggest putting anything with a turtle.when i had my res he would kill anything we put with him.once we put 40 minnows(my moms idea)in with him,he killed all of them in 1 night.

He's 100% correct, I started off with 1 painted turtle, one g/f later and somehow I ended up with 4 more, don't get me wrong, turtles a fascinating and fun to watch but I have to clean them am the tank twice as much as any fish tank I've ever had, they eat ALOT and what goes in must come out so unless you have one bad to the bone filtration system your fish will suffer shortly before they are bit in half! Lol on the other hand my old ap bio teacher had a red eared slider that shared a tank with a couple danios and never even went after them

Some cat fish, that can grow large enough that the turtle won't try and eat them. But really, fish are a huge part of a turtles diet. I wouldn't put anything in unless you don't want to get too attached to it.

I have 2 yellow bellied sliders and I have about 10 To 15 platty in with them. They will attack and eat the pregnant females sometimes, but I haven't had a missing fish in over 6 months. Just give the fish plenty of hiding spots were the turtles can't get to them.

I read that the pignose turtle is safe to keep with fish. Hope you're willing to pay 500 plus dollars for the turtle!

I have african Cichlids with a stinkpot musk turtle the turtle has never picked one off. He is scared to death to try I think they boss him around most of the time.

I have a musk turtle in my community tank with angels, cardinals, guppies, corys, clown loach, bala sharks, plec and some barbs he is as good as gold doesn't bother a single fish he's happy with his food and kept well fed if you have any fish losses he will however clear them up, but over all an interesting cute little guy nice addition to my tank :)

He hand feeds he also prefers his lunch to the fish food and they prefer theirs to his but they all like the frozen blood worm hehe!!

Attachments

• image-2947497154.jpg
    image-2947497154.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 115
I had musks in with leopard danieos and a plec but the Plec and turtles make soooo much waste. Turtles never touched fish though apart from some guppies I put in with them when I first got the turtles .... Learnt from that.

Plec and musk

Attachments

• image-2697634727.jpg
    image-2697634727.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 141
I have an RES in with my cichlids in a 125g. He's never once tried to chomp anyone. He pals around with my two 7" oscars and my albino zebra but there are plenty of smaller fish in there too. He eats fish food, turtle logs, feeders, and frozen flounder.

image-3815558615.jpg

image-4049508999.jpg

image-27619453.jpg

http://youtu.be/0delzd_K2XM

I can see how at that size, with an RES everything would be OK, but as the turtle gets bigger, you may start having issues.

I think my fish are growing faster than he can, I think by the time he's big enough my smaller fish will be too big to be on the menu. I definitely don't suggest putting smaller fish in with any turtle but if you have larger fish it doesn't seem like you would have a problem. I worry about my rainbow sharks but they are pretty quick and he won't chase anything, not even feeders, he waits for them to come to him. I had some electric yellow fry in there too since my adults paired off and are breeding, he hasn't touched them and neither have any of the other fish, including my 2 8" oscars, they are only about 1-1.5" so I'm kinda surprised at that too.

Back
Top Bottom