Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, this is a long way off seeing as my tank just started cycling, but i've been thinking about tankmates. I'd really like to do a pair of clowns, just can't imagine anything cooler. Would a figure 8 puffer be OK with the clowns? I don't think he gets bigger than them and when I have anenomes later on i'm sure they'd be safe. I've also had my eye on a wrasse and purple firefish. I'd also like to do cleaner shrimp or something of that matter. My tank is 75gallons and it will start its life as a FOWLR until I can get lighting to move to a reef setup.

Figure 8 puffers are aggressive, not reef safe, and best kept alone or in a species only tank. They can survive a full marine environment when mature but do better in brackish environments with a lower sg. I wouldn’t consider any puffers if planning for a reef later on.

The two clowns are fine along with plenty of other “reef safe” fish.

Make sure you only add 1-2 fish at a time preferably after a 3+ week qt, get fish that are appropriate for your sized tank, and read the saltwater compatibility guides and know the requirements before buying.

Also, what kind of Wrasse? Lots of Wrasse love to feast on all kinds of shrimp and many can be extremely aggressive. Many Wrasse are not reef safe.

Brenden said:
If you QT you need to do it longer than 3 weeks.
I was talking about qt before adding to the tank not if they are sick and adding to the qt. I agree if new acquisitions of fish/inverts show any signs of sickness then a longer qt is needed but usually 3 weeks are long enough for observation and bring up the ph/sg to the main if you have a healthy fish/invert. You could perform hypo on all new acquisitions but if buying from a reputable lfs then personally I think its overkill.

My lfs qt all new fish/inverts before adding to the main tanks as it is and my qt is just precautionary. To date I’ve never had to qt a fish once added to the main in the 20+ years I’ve been keeping fish. Could be I’ve just been lucky but I’ve always been a big believer in using a QT prior to adding anything to the main.

hmmm... make sure that your water is fully Cycled before you add cleaner shrimp, you can try to add Marine betta, Marine betta is a shy fish and it's a good fish.

Back
Top Bottom