Tanks falling from the sky.... (Idea request)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my 55gal up and running for about a year. We've been thinking of getting another one, nothing to serious, just playing with the idea.

I am ok with this...when it's time the inspiration will come right?

So last friday I'm drinking with a bunch of people from work and suddenly I hear the words '135 gal' and 'get rid of' down table.

"What?" I say.

Turns out a coworker's sister is trying to get rid of her 135gal and stand, and a potentially working canister filter for $150. Needless to say I snap it up and I now have a 135 gal that I'm not at all sure what to do with.

Woohoo, I'd be on here for some serious back patting anyway, but just to make the whole thing eerie, a different coworker comes up to me and says did you just buy so and so's old tank?

This conversation leads to two 20gals (I think) complete with hoods, filters, heaters, and double stand....for free.

Is there something in the water?

I went from 1 tank to 4. :roll: And I really don't know what to do with them. Ideas anyone?

oi, i seriously need to change jobs...now what did you say you were doing?
congrats on the great deals. i'm sure we're in for a series sumptuous fishy-haven pix...

Lol. I'm an 11th and 12th grade english teacher at a special needs school :)

hee hee, I'd share but I'm just too excited. 135 is just massive though...I'm a little overwhelmed with possibilities. I also need to talk to landlords and double check that we are on a concrete slab.

shoot. i'm a horrible teacher (in any discipline)....:sigh:
imo, big tanks are meant for (large+peaceful) / (large+aggressive) / aggressive species that can't be kept in smaller tanks. but keep in mind, that's jmo.
now in that direction, possible ideas include -
aggressive malawi community (though not recommended, i feel the tank is large enough to accommodate both mbuna and haps)
tanganyikan community (centerpiece - frontosas)
aggressive CA community / few large aggressive fish
aggressive SA community / few large semi-aggressive fish (oscars)
mixed CA/SA community
large oddballs (bichirs, knifes, yada yada yada)

well, barring madagascan and asian cichlids (i do have orange chromides and p. polleni available around me, and believe me, any of the paratilapia sp. would look great in that tank), i think that about covers it....

SparKy697 said:
One word:

PLANTS!

bwahahahahaha :twisted: yes definitely. I'm already looking at two compact flourescents that'll put me at 2.8 wpg.... trying to decide if I can get away with a diy CO2 system or not.

Back
Top Bottom