Tannin removal and plant advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevgrot11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a nice piece of driftwood at the LFS and soaked it for a few days to sink it and get rid of the tannin. Unfortunately I am still having a tannin problem after about a week of the driftwood being in my tank. Doing a PWC seems to get rid of it but it comes back after about 24 hours. What can I do to try to get rid of the tannin? Could I do a daily 10% PWC? I have carbon running in my filter right now but that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Also, while I have you here, I am looking for some advice on a few plants to complete my tank. I was thinking of adding a couple of small anubias plants in front of the amazon sword but I'm open to suggestions. I hope there's a pic of my tank somewhere in this post. I'm not sure how it works with the iPhone yet...

Attachments

• image-447712491.jpg
    image-447712491.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi Kev. You can try boiling the driftwood. It will increase the leeching process and get rid of a bunch of the tannins. Some driftwood will still leech tanins though even after that.

I think 1 or 2 different varieties of crypts would look very nice in front of the sword, if you want to try something besides the anubias.

How much carbon are you running? The bag of carbon that comes with an AC70 took care of the tannins in my 29g. I think a lot of people try skimping on the carbon and that's why it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom