Tap water additive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no RO system so they suggested using a product called Prime which removes metals and such with tap water. So not sure if this water conditioner is a good thing? I have found a little of that brown algae on my sand but i guess that is something that will happen. I know tap is not the best for salt but any thoughts? Is distilled ok but i did see it is missing things.

Distilled is better then tap water even if using Prime. I wouldn't suggest using tap and Prime in your saltwater tank.

Some stores sell pre mixed saltwater and some food stores sell RO water as well. If try those options first. Too many things can go wrong by adding tap water IMO.

I use tap water and prime for a FOWLR tank. No problems.

I think it varies based on wear you live and what is coming out of your tap. Distilled is great for a smaller reef tank. Running to Walmart and getting the jugs for .89 a gallon works fine if the tank is small enough.

Otherwise, I wouldn't run a reef tank over 30 gallons without an RO/DI unit.

I use tap water and prime for a FOWLR tank. No problems.

I think it varies based on wear you live and what is coming out of your tap. Distilled is great for a smaller reef tank. Running to Walmart and getting the jugs for .89 a gallon works fine if the tank is small enough.

Otherwise, I wouldn't run a reef tank over 30 gallons without an RO/DO unit.

Made some good points. To the OP I'm speaking from a bio cube owner with ALOT of corals. Tap water would be detrimental to my tanks success.

Running biocube 29 so not sure. Its like .24 per ga for ro at a local store. We have good but hard water in my city. I have just the 2 fish and working well so far. But want to make sure algae doesnt go crazy. Couple months i will add corals so maybe its good to do RO now. You would not add the prime to RO water right?

I would definitely switch to RODI water instead of tap..... the nutrients/chemicals/metals in tap water can play havoc in a reef, especially a well stocked small tank. And Prime may say that it "detoxifies" metals & chemicals, but that is a misnomer.... all it does is temporarily bind them. That's a help while doing a fish-in cycle, but all those chemicals & metals are going to become available again at some point.

And, no.... you don't need to Prime RODI water.

Well sounds like the way to go. I will start with a 20% change this weekend and start moving to only RO. Just think that brown algae is gonna start going crazy and im too new for sure to deal with tons of problems. Sucks i got that bad advice though. Otherwise tank has good levels. Think it will take a few changes to get the bad tap water out?

Back
Top Bottom