tap water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was online looking at ro/di units and i stumbled across a "tap water filter." Im pretty sure it wont be as effective as RO but seeing as it is only $30 and i am on a low budget it seems like it might be worth it. My question is, will it even do enough to make a difference and has anyone had a good/bad experience with these? didnt see a name but i found it on the dr. foster and smith site if anyone is interested. thanks.

-Andrew-

You would be wise to hold off on this purchase. Save up for a little while longer and invest in a reverse osmosis unit. You will not be sorry you waited.

unfortunately, thats what i thought too but i figured i would double check. thanks again.
-Andrew-

DO NOT waste your money on a "tap water filter" -- 99% positive that will only be a carbon reactive filtering unit used to make tap water "taste clean". It'll last two weeks before you have to replace the carbon.

You can find a 4-6 stage RO/DI unit on eBay that'll do the job just perfectly. Just make sure they supply an appropriate website to purchase replacement filters from (maybe be a good deal but if you can't replace the RO piece its worthless after 6 months -- or less depending on how frequently you're using it).

Typically these will run you $100-150. This is what my step-father got.

I personally drop the $3.50 on two 10g bottles of 5-stage filtered water from the machine in front of the local HEB (grocery store) every 10-15 days (~$300/yr. thus proving its cheaper to buy an RO unit with $45 in replacement parts every 6-9 months -- I can't get an RO/DI unit as my apartment complex would kick my butt if I broke any of the plumbing; pay enough in insurance for the fish tank :D).

Back
Top Bottom