Tap water reads 1-2 ppm ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newb123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First I admit I officially don't know what I'm doing...
Basics: new tank, 2 weeks in, 6 zebra danios. Ammonia 1-2 ppm, 0 nitrite maybe 10-20 nitrate. Based on info at lfs I have been adding prime every other day and bacteria (microbacter) every other day. Still can't bring ammonia down, fish seem fine (spawning&eating). My tap water is heavily chlorinated with API telling me it's between 1-2 ppm so I haven't changed any water from day one. Do I just keep plugging along? Should I pick up RO water from lfs? 38 gallon tank

I'm all ears...

Danios have been in for 7 days
Temp 78
Ph 7.5 ish

Last edited:
if i was you i would buy an api master test kit,don't buy the strips the readings are not accurate,some but not all lfs tell you lies to sell their products...is just an opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First I admit I officially don't know what I'm doing...
Basics: new tank, 2 weeks in, 6 zebra danios. Ammonia 1-2 ppm, 0 nitrite maybe 10-20 nitrate. Based on info at lfs I have been adding prime every other day and bacteria (microbacter) every other day. Still can't bring ammonia down, fish seem fine (spawning&eating). My tap water is heavily chlorinated with API telling me it's between 1-2 ppm so I haven't changed any water from day one. Do I just keep plugging along? Should I pick up RO water from lfs? 38 gallon tank

I'm all ears...

Danios have been in for 7 days
Temp 78
Ph 7.5 ish

Just to clarify, you say your tap water has 1-2 ppm ammonia?
Your tank is not cycled and you should wait until ammonia has fallen to zero if indeed you would be adding ammonia from your tap. Ammonia should be below 0.25 to avoid damage to your fish.
Make sure that you are using a good liquid test kit, API seems a favourite, and follow the instructions to the absolute letter or your results will be incorrect.
Your tap water being heavily chlorinated should not be problem if you use prime in every bucket of water added to the tank but I would keep water changes small and often as a precaution.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom