TCC 36 Bowfront Dutch Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you go with a dirted tank there will be extra work in the beginning. The first few weeks after dirting you will have excess nutrients being leached from the organics breaking down in the soil. You will need to plant immediately after dirting the tank and be sure to have some fast growing stem plants and plants like water sprite which will suck up excess amounts of nutrients in the beginning. I can explain how to dirt if you go that route as I have been dirting tanks for a long time.

I would actually suggest using a commercial plant substrate. I use Eco-complete in all my tanks as either a cap to dirt or as a single substrate. There are many different plant substrates to choose from. Or you can just use sand if you want. The only thing I would stay away from is gravel.

No it's a regular substrate and they have regular and fine grade. I have both and fine grade is like a larger grained sand. It also is a use straight from the bag, no rinsing substrate which is nice.

The only difference between sand and commercial plant substrate is that sand is inert and commercial substrates and dirt have a high CEC. CEC is cation exchange capacity which means the substrate can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by plants. Sand and gravel cannot do this.

Yes planting right away is always the best and if the tank is cycling it will help speed the cycle especially if you plant fast growing stem plants and water sprite in over 80% of the substrate. When doing that a tank can actually go through a silent cycle.

Tanks been running for over a year, just a transformation to planted. So substrate should be the last thing I worry about before planting

Are you planning on changing out the substrate? Or just putting Eco on top of the sand?

Back
Top Bottom