Teach me about plants please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sdimatties

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't stand plastic plants so when I started this tank I wanted plants. Honestly, I didn't research and figured I could just buy a plant and stick it into the sand and that would be that. Now that I want more plants, I'm starting to read to see what will go with what I bought ( a melon sword) and I'm hearing about co2 and fertilizers and a whole bunch of stuff. My tank is a 20 gal tall and I'm using the stock lid until I figure out what to buy.
Any help would be great, thank you!

Well, different plants have different demands
Co2 helps plants grow a lot, but you can keep some plants without co2 like your melon sword, some plants are low-mid light, like your melon sword, some plants need root tabs and some need liquid ferts, your amazon sword needs root tabs, it all depends on the plant, I have a planted 29 gallon with amazon swords, water wisteria, Anubias nana, java fern, Marimo moss balls, and anacharis, I add liquid ferts and root tabs, I have sand as substrate

First to start out you need to pick a few types of plants that you like most.

Low light is kind of restrictive with the plant types you can keep but will be very low maintenance.

Medium light covers a really wide array of plants and doesn't take too much maintenance. It also isn't a very high cost.

With high light you can grow anything BUT there is a lot of maintenance to keep up with. Also, the lights are quite a bit more expensive. Plants will however grow much faster than if they were grown under different types of light.

With medium and high light it's a good idea to look at using both dry ferts and some source of carbon.

So I would say the first step is to take a look at which types of plants you want and then we can help guide you from there. Also, what size tank do you have?

Back
Top Bottom