teacup sting ray tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe&rae

Aquarium Advice Activist
me and my wife's one year ann. is coming up and she wants a stingray and im into saltwater, but the saltwater rays are way to finicky so im thing of setting up a tank to put the ray in!! is there a reason that anyone can think of that the tank would have to be more than a foot deep! im thing of makeing a 6ft by 2 1/2ft by one foot deep!!! any reason this tank is not a good idea

Stingrays are not for the inexperienced and I never recommend them for home aquariums since most people cannot afford the size of tank needed nor respect the possible dangers of keeping them; however, to answer your question you would need at the very least, 180g for a single individual with a custom tank of 6'x3ft'x2' for a pair or possibly a trio. Filtration will have to be of utmost importance.

Teacups (reticulated) will get rather large and you will need a large tank to house them in as you already know. I think that the tank with the dimensions you listed would be just fine. It's recommended to keep them in nothing smaller than a 5ft tank when they are about 5-6" and you could keep two of them in there together. Long term you will need a tank with the dimensions you listed for a pair. I think females get a little larger than males. They aren't for beginners as already mentioned. They can be costly since most of them will require exclusively live foods like ghost shrimp, blackworms, earthworms, feeder fish, etc. The bad thing about these fish is that they are inexpensive (about $40-50 for a pair) so ANYONE can get them and they aren't for beginners. If you think you are up to the challenge and can handle caring for them then go for it. I'm not trying to say that you aren't experienced, just pointing out that they require more work and care than many other types of fish.

Back
Top Bottom