Tell me Everything about Crayfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just stuff like water conditions and how big they get and what your experiences with them are. And how many you can keep in a tank.

TIA

I have a blue crawfish.. I haven't worried about the water parameters with it. It eats whatever I put into the tank. I've had it two years. He's not big.. maybe 5 inches. I love watching him.. he is by far the coolest thing inthe tank. You have to be careful with putting slow or stupid fish into the tank cause he won't hessitiate to eat them. They are pretty territorial. I only keep one in my 20 gallon tank. From what I understand if you have a really big tank you can keep two.

Ok. Don't don't really want to eat them(unless they misbehave) :p

Any thing I should know about? I heard they will attack plants and stuff like that.

They are herbivores and will eat plants - for sure. They like to have rocks and whatnot to hide in, and are great pets, but I like them as species only, as they like to eat fish!

I like to eat crawdads in front of mine when he gets out of line... since I've started this I've had NO problems from him.. He's in a tank with tiger barbs, buenes aires tetras, cherry barbs, and zebra danios.

I've seen the electric blue crayfish at my lfs for around $15. They look cool. And plants they won't eat? Like most things don't eat java fern. How big do these blue crayfish get?

Who ever told you they won't eat plants is lying.. I've tried to have all sorts of plants in my tank.. it never worked. Little bugger had them gone overnight. :(

I think they only get to 5 -6 inches at most. In captivity at least.

Crayfish add a lot of personality to a tank. I enjoyed them a lot while I had them. I have heard they will eat each other and believe that is how I lost all but the last one. They don't always survive a molt and that is what I believe happened to my last one.

I often wondered how my free floating weighted thermometer moved around the tank until the day I saw my crayfish pick it up and move it around the tank. They move gravel too, and yeah they shredded all my live plants until none were left. They are cool to watch as the move around the tank. I am sure I lost a few fish to them, but for the most part they either left my fish alone or the fish were too fast for them (and too smart). They like caves and will build a wall of gravel in front of it to make the entrance smaller.

Oh, I forgot to mention. They are escape artists. They love to climb things, including air hoses and filter tubes and will climb right up them and out of the tank if you don't block off the back portion of your tanks lid. We had one at work for a day or two until it vanished. That was a few years ago. We never did find out what happened to him.

Here's something .......... My crayfish used to love climbing out and fighting with my cat, but one day it look like my cat got Tired of the play fighting and killed it :-/ .
How do I know it was the cat you ask? Cause she had a gash across the face and some whiskers missing :)

Back
Top Bottom