Tell me why this is stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

San Raphael Catfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
68848-albums10676-picture45394.jpg

This reflector with bulbs in 70.00 dollars on line and is supposed to be 1000 watts. --
Flashpoint Cool Light 4 -16" Reflector with Four 55W Fluorescent Bulbs, 1000 Watt Equivalent

I have seen CFL bulbs with 5500k color and 45 watts. That would be 180 watts. I have seen 5500k lights as being appropriate for certain corals.

Why would this be stupid for a low cost solution for lighting a beginning reef tank?

SRC <><

Last edited:
That's the first time I've seen that. Wouldn't grow corals because it's a 5500 K light so for corals the kelvin range is usually 10,000 to 20,000. It's more about the par though. It could work for macroalgae though.

Reef capable bulbs like par 38 LEDs that would fit in that socket (I think) are going to cost about $100. CFL bulbs won't work. It would have to be a small cube aquarium or else the light probably won't spread out..be evenly dispersed. Even then there would be so much light in that space that it could be too much.

That's the first time I've seen that. Wouldn't grow corals because it's a 5500 K light so for corals the kelvin range is usually 10,000 to 20,000. It's more about the par though. It could work for macroalgae though.

+1

It's not about the amount of light, but the quality..... proper output of certain color temps & wavelengths. PAR is a measure of Photosynthetic Active Radiation, which is the amount of "usable" light for the corals. Theoretically, you could put a hundred of these bulbs above your tank, making it so bright you'd almost need welders goggles to see into it, and still not have enough PAR to keep a mushroom, where a 2-bulb T5 HO could do the trick.....

obscurereef said:

I think 6500k can be paired with 10000k right?

Back
Top Bottom