Temp 87 and rising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I seem to have a big temperature problem and not sure where it is coming from. I have my tank set up with no problems, well not with temperature anyway, for about a year. I pulled out two Maxijet 1200 PH and replaced with a closed loop system with a SQWD run by a Mag 9.5. Then WAM my temperature shoots up to 87. So far I have not lost any fish or corals but realize I need to get the temp down before too long. It has already been a week.

Any suggestions or explanation that would explain why the closed loop system would make the temperature jump up??

Thanx,

Patrick

pdwire said:
Any suggestions or explanation that would explain why the closed loop system would make the temperature jump up??

I assume you have this pump submerged? If so that is the cause of your temperature increase. Submersable pumps will heat up the water. You could try and run the mag drive externally as they can operate in that manner.

The pump is external. It is an external closed loop. I will replace the thermometer to see if that helps.

I replaced the heater and still temp remains at 87-88. I then unplugged all heaters and temp is still at 88. Can an external Mag 9.5 cause a tank to heat up like this??

It should'nt but what is your house room temprature at? If it has been real humid by you lately than that can cause a little more heat build up since there is less evaporation.

House temp is same as it has been all summer ~77 and actually it is cooler out lately than it was in July so I don't think external environment has much to do with it. I usually kept the tank at 82 as this is where I could keep it the most steady but for some reason it has jumped 5-6 degrees.

After unplugging the heaters and increasing surface agitation I have managed to get it down to 86 but that is still 10 degrees above ambient. Not sure where all this heat is coming from.

I felt the Mag 9.5 and it is a little warm but not hot... next step is to cut off the Mag and turn PH back on to see if that is the culprit. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

You really need to find the source of the problem before doing anything else.. trying to cool it down at this point could result in big fluctuations which is worse than constantly being too high.

Go through everything systematically and you should find the culprit soon enough.

jamal-188 said:
You could try and run the mag drive externally as they can operate in that manner.

Mag-Drives cannot reliably be run externally due to a single gasket setup and need for water cooling. Mag Drives will run up the temp to about 81-82 often, but not 87.

I would unplug your heaters all together to check if that's the problem.

Yes do not run a mag externally; one good bump and it will crack the front casing causing a leak!

Back
Top Bottom