Temp and Salinaty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darknessheir

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the sugested temp and salinaty for a reef tank. I have read any any where from 75 to 82 is ok but what is normal. Also salinaty they say .021 - .026 so what is the best and why?

I'd say "normal" would be 78-80 and 1.023-1.025, but everyone defines normal differently. lol

It ultimately depends on how the animals in your care do as to what levels are right for your tank.

For reef (fish + corals), I'd consider 78-80 and 1.025-1.026 a good target. If it's fish only, then the numbers you noted in your first post are fine and probably considered normal.

Regarding the "why" part... most folks try to stay with those numbers because it is closer to the environment the coral came from to start with, and those numbers are what seem to give folks the most success.

All of the above:), Really you want to get as close to the environment that your animals are from. If they all came form the Red Sea then your temp and SG should be as close to that as possible. You will always see people stating the average, because all tanks are different. So 78-82 is a safe temp. and 1.023-1.026 is another safe salinity. As you get to know yoor animals better then you can zero in on whats most correct for them.

And to add to all of the above, stability is very important as well. Once they get used to the parameters, keeping them consistent will be extremely healthy for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom