Temperature affecting Algal Growth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I have posted a couple of questions concerning how to go about reducing algal growth in my tank. I have added some more snails and they seem to be keeping it controlled but there is still some that is present.

I was wondering if the temperature of the tank can influence the growth of algae. I keep my tank at 78 degrees. If I turned it up to 80 degrees would that cause more growth or some die off? Or is there not a correlation between the two?

I mainly have hair algae and some clear, slimy looking algae as well.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm a Newb to this but I believe I read that most algae prefers warmer water. However, you need to keep a SW tank warmer for most corals and fish so I don't think you'd be able to lower the temp enough to make a difference in algae growth.

I could be wrong on that though.

I think there are more major factors to algae growth then temperature, IE. PO4, light, etc..

I have controlled the lighting and my salinity has been improving.
I am currently decreasing it.
I didn't realize that when you add water, due to evaporation it needed to be RO water. :oops: I just figured that out about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I was just wondering if a slow temp change could make a difference.

Some algae in the tank is normal and the temp of the water is not going to effect anything in the way of algae growth.
I'm glad you caught the ro water for top offs before you had a crashed tank due to salinity being to high, good luck.

some clear, slimy looking algae as well.
That sounds more like die-off, possibly b/c of the salinity problem. I would test for ammonia, nitrite, and siphon as much slime out of the tank as possible. As for the hair algae, raising the temp to 80 really will not affect it. Although I do think raising the temp to 80 would be a good idea anyway-reefs are rarely under 80. If the tank is new, 2-4 months, some algae is normal and should subside with some time.

Back
Top Bottom