Temperature at 83!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently upgraded my bulbs on my 20g high from 2x 13 watt to 2x 23 watt CFL bulbs. Before the upgrade, my temperature stayed in the upper 70's. However, I just noticed that with the bigger bulbs, the water temperature is getting a bit too high for my comfort. What should I do in order to keep away the heat, but keep my med. light plants happy?

A good strong fan is the best solution. Set it to blow on the light and take away some of that hot air. Ideally, you could build a little shelf near the tank but otherwise just angle something as best you can.

In times of emergency I'd remove my glass covers on the tank which helped a great deal. Of course this is VERY dangerous because now you've got live electrical equipment sitting just above open water.

You could put a small computer fan or two on the fixture as well. If you had one pushing air in and one pulling out, that would bring a lot of heat out.

As far as the worry about removing the glass lids... that's not something I've ever worried about. I dont run lids on any of my tanks. All aquariums NEED to be on GFCI circuits, whether they're built in or added in via a plug. I would never plug aquarium equipment in to a regular electrical plug.

I decided to go ahead and swap one of the 23's for a 13's. I will watch what the temperature does over the next couple of hours and update if I have any more problems. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom