Temperature compromise for White Clouds, plants, and Endlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I've got a ten gallon planted that I've been trying to keep without a heater, but it's just getting too cold in the house without one and I think the plants are suffering for it. So I picked up a little Tetra one today before I have to leave for business later this week. Unbeknownst to me, the heater I bought is a constant temp heater with no adjustability set to 78 F plus or minus two degrees. My stock is three white cloud minnows, two neons (finding a new home), and two true Endlers. I'm worried this heater will be too warm for my minnows. It heated up quite quickly (just a few hours) so I unplugged it. What's the best way to deal with this? I could plug it in with my lights in the morning and then turn it off at night, but that seems like a massive temperature fluctuation issue. Would it just be better to pick up an adjustable? No matter what I try those always seem to break or quit working, so I'm loathe to do so and I really am not interested in dropping $50 on a fancy heater. Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom