Temperature fluctuations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm having problems keeping my temps steady. We have wood heat so it's hard to keep house temps up when it's 0 degrees outside. Overnight the tanks dropping to 83 then raising to 87 during the day. I have bala sharks, rams, gourami, rainbow shark, pictus cats, albino bristlenose plecs, peacock eel, neons and cherry barbs. The only ones that it seems to affect are the barbs. I've lost 4. Ideas as to what I should do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank is this?
What brand of heaters are you running?
How many watts are your heaters?

135 gal Eheim jager 100 watt and Sun sun 300 watt

Your Tank Temperature

Hey guys I'm having problems keeping my temps steady. We have wood heat so it's hard to keep house temps up when it's 0 degrees outside. Overnight the tanks dropping to 83 then raising to 87 during the day. I have bala sharks, rams, gourami, rainbow shark, pictus cats, albino bristlenose plecs, peacock eel, neons and cherry barbs. The only ones that it seems to affect are the barbs. I've lost 4. Ideas as to what I should do?

Hello Kee...

A couple of things: Your place seems too warm. But, if this is the normal environment for you, then fine. If the heat in the tank only changes 4 degrees over several hours, then the fish won't mind. Aquarium fish are generally hardy and will adapt to most water conditions as long as there's no dissolved waste in it. So, keep the water clean through large, frequent water changes and make the new water temp close to what's already in the tank.

If you feel the water is too warm, then set up a floor fan and point it at the tank. This should lower the room temperature a bit. But, the small, gradual increase in the water temperature is nothing to fret over.

B

Back
Top Bottom