Temperature Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so in my 36gal bowfront, I was originally running a 100w heater, and when I noticed that it was running almost constantly, I upped the ante to a 200w that's working just fine.

Today, however, I was at a friend of a friends place, where he has the same tank as me, an he's running 2 heaters. Should I consider running two heaters? I don't see a problem with the one heater setup.

Also, come summer time (only been doing this since last September), should I have a system that will cool the water?

I have 2 heaters works fine. I place them beside the filter power head.
Also, i have heard about tank coolers. If you have air conditioner, it would be good. But it should be fine as long as it doesn't go over 26C in you're house.

Ok, so in my 36gal bowfront, I was originally running a 100w heater, and when I noticed that it was running almost constantly, I upped the ante to a 200w that's working just fine.

Today, however, I was at a friend of a friends place, where he has the same tank as me, an he's running 2 heaters. Should I consider running two heaters? I don't see a problem with the one heater setup.

Also, come summer time (only been doing this since last September), should I have a system that will cool the water?

Depends on the quality of the heaters. I finally am only using one heater now I have one that works right. Before this I was having to use all four heaters I owned, 3 preset ones, 2 rated for 10g and 1 rated for 30g, and 1 adjustable that was rated for 30-60g. In a 55g tank I had to run all four just keep the temperature barely at 78. All heaters are the tetra Walmart brand (which now I
will NEVER buy another one again if I can help it). I just got a 200w eheim jäger heater and it keeps my tank at 80-81 degrees constantly. As long as the one heater keeps a steady temp that you want the tank to be at there is nothing wrong with only 1 heater. IMHO I hated having to run all 4 of my heaters, to many cords and all the darn heaters on the glass took away from the actually aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom