Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is a good temperature to set my tanks at? I have a basic community of fish. It is heavily planted. Right now one was reading at 83.6 I'm wondering if that is to high. My fish are all fine and happy and the plants are to so I was just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that 77-78 is better. 83.6 sounds high unless you have fish which like warm water: GBRs, mollies, gouramis, bettas. Water that warm will stress and shorten the lifespan of fish like neons.

Yes, it does depend on what kinds of fish you have and the needs of each, there are a wide variety which can be called tropical though groups of fish as mentioned prefer different temps some around 74F and some above 80F. 78F is the usual default though.

As for the heater - if you have one, turn it down a degree at a time, say 24 hour period. Sometimes the water temp goes up because it's hot in the house or because the light is heating things up. Try to avoid direct sunlight shining in.

Some fluctualtion should not be a big deal but if it is due to the heater, just turn it down a little. Some fish are sensitive so it helps to know a lot more about each fish variety you have and then decide if they can all be in the same temp tank or if one or maore varieties would be better rehomed or in a specific for them type tank.

Being in the wrong temps can cause issues with the fish and result in illness.

I have a variety of fish listed below
Rummy noses
Keyhole cichlids
Tetras (different kinds)
White clouds
Horse face loaches
Kuhli loaches
Panda garras
Cherry barbs
The bottom 2 are in a 10 gal
Mollies
Corys

All of these fish reside in 3 different tanks. All the tanks have about the same temperature. I usually don't list what I have because some fish might not be compatible with others but my fish are all VERY happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom