Temporary Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
At present I dont have a quarantine tank. If I setup a 10 gallon tank only when I am buying new fish will this work? I would use the live rock from my sump that is provided all the fish in my main is healthy.

Unless the fish you plan on purchasing are under 4", you'd be better off with a 20g. Even a rubbermaid tub of at least 20g will do the trick. You can use your water to seed the qt if you wish to have it up and running all the time, but you will want to take out any liverock when you actually medicate. A sponge filter works rather well, cheap to run, easy to clean, and can be seeded by containing it in your sump. PVC pipes, which are inert, can be used for hiding and separation areas.

Innovator said:
Unless the fish you plan on purchasing are under 4", you'd be better off with a 20g. Even a rubbermaid tub of at least 20g will do the trick. You can use your water to seed the qt if you wish to have it up and running all the time, but you will want to take out any liverock when you actually medicate. A sponge filter works rather well, cheap to run, easy to clean, and can be seeded by containing it in your sump. PVC pipes, which are inert, can be used for hiding and separation areas.
Well I wanted to do exactly as you say but I dont want to have it running all the time, only if fish get sick or new additions. This article is a great article melosu58.

Back
Top Bottom