Terrible Luck With Breeding Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey!
So I've had a 10g tank that's been set up for 5 months. I started out with 2 females and 1 male. The fish were extremely healthy and active but none of the females ever looked pregnant or had fry despite the male mating. So after 3 months of no success, I got a new group of 2 females and one male. And the exact same thing happened! This time the females will get really big for like 3 days and then look back to normal. Is this normal? I really want fry and I think I'm doing things right because I can't get any more info. So if anyone knows what's going on or has any tips, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

The adults might be eating the fry, make sure the tank has many hiding places, and, if you can, please post pictures of your fish to see how close they are to dropping the fry

Before dropping the fry the female will get squared and won't eat as much as usual

the female will be pregnant for much longer than three days. they are pregnant for like around 28 days.

Yes the female gets bloated for like 3 days and then goes back to normal. It's strange! And here she is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398484975.323244.jpg

That's probably right before she gives birth, then when you're not looking all the fry get eaten.

Okay thanks soo much guys! I thought I was doing something terribly wrong so this helps a lot!

Yes, you either have to put mom in a different tank ny herself before birth, then pull her out right after or add lots of plants for the fry to hide in. Livebearers usually eat their fry if they see them. Eapecially guppies.

Lol - I've never heard of guppies not breeding. Are they mating? Guppies would breed in a water filled shoe on the side of the road imo. :)

They usually(not always) give birth at night. If you keep them well fed before she gives birth, you have a better chance of some of them surviving. Did you cover you filter intake. Lots of plants, real or fake bunched tightly in one corner will help. The best method, imo, is to get a second tank and one of those open bottom breeder boxes. It will allow the fry to swim free from the mother. Also if you notice her giving birth, offer her some food......

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398723746.771287.jpg my daughter loves guppies so set her up a small tank there are a lot of plants for the fry to hide, after the 1st set of fry they all got eaten and only 3 remain that have grown too big to be classed as lunch. When I thought the next female was due to drop I put in a fry net and placed the female in it. 30 mins later the net was full of fry and saw the mother try to eat 1 so removed her, haven't lost 1 yet and think there is 38 in total.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398724074.305762.jpg

Thanks I usually have the plants trimmed back but since they have started to breed I've let them go to give the fry more cover

Wow that's a nice tank!!! That's going to be like my role model tank! So here is my guppy like 1 week later, does she still look pregnant?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398728613.668075.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398728626.901301.jpg

Wow that's a nice tank!!! That's going to be like my role model tank! So here is my guppy like 1 week later, does she still look pregnant?View attachment 235317View attachment 235318
Guppies are born pregnant...lol. I don't know how quickly they become pregnant again after they have fry but it is quite likely she is. A good way to know when to expect fry is to add 28 days to the last birth. Even if there is no male present, she have can a few batches, as they store sperm.....

When I place my guppy in the fry net I always put a plant in there I'm lucky because my live ones reach over and into it

Put her on her own with some plant in there and turn the light off. Keep checking in because she will eat them

Okay thanks so much guys! Does this look okay? It also has a bubbler in itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398778124.480807.jpg
And there are little holes underneath were the mom is!

Back
Top Bottom