Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok all,
I want to know which test kit's are the best. I'm not concerned with price so much as the quality. I prefer a master kit that does all the test's (and I mean all of them!) hopefully I won't have to buy a bunch of kits, but I'd rather have something that doesn't take a day and a half to complete.

What kit's are the best kit's? Tim.

If possible which ones come as a complete set?

As in complete I suspect your talking about

• Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    PH
    Phosphate
    Alkinity
    Calcium
    Copper
    Salinity
    Temp

Thats about all of the popular tests. There are soem other tests that are less popular like Magnesium and Strodium (sp?)

During cycling you'll want Amonia and Nitrite. After you tank is cycled I'd say you can't live without Calcium, Alkalinity, Nitrate and pH. Use a glass floating hydrometer (sheaper) to check specific gravity (temperature dependant) or a refractometer (more expensive) to check your salinity (not affected by temperature). You'll want a good quality glass thermometer.
You will probably save money by buying only the kits you need. You will save a few bucks by buying a Tetra Laborette http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=573. Here it's only $17. I used it when I was starting out, it is pretty good. pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and hardness (Alkalinity). It also comes with a FW hardness test that you won't need.
I like TropicMarin Ca test. High quality.

Best...is really a subjective term. If I were going for a high end master test kit, I'd probably go with Lamotte Master kit and a pinpoint ph monitor. The Lamotte kit will probably run a couple hundred dollars and change and your looking at about 80-100 for the monitor. For my needs Salifert works fine.

I just don't like the one I got, Seatest dry chemical shake for a minute wait ten, wait20 min and all that. I'd love a PH moniter but that particular test is the simplist to test. what about one for amonia, thats the longest test. Why is Lamotte so expencive and were can I find Info? is the Salifert test the kind that has liqiud drops? Does it take as long as mine?

PH
Amonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium
Phosephates
Copper
Alkylinity
Iodine

Is all that the max people test for?

Also are Mag drive pumps good pumps? Tim 0X

You missed my suggestion for tetra's Laborette. Cheap kit (used to be pricey). All liquid reagents, very easy to use, good color changes. Spend big bucks if you want but I've used this kit, it's pretty good.
You don't need a test for Iodide unless you dose it. Ditto for copper.
Phosphate test is debatable.

Mag drive pumps are excellent.

I like seachem test kits. Less complex than the fasttest kits that I used before and also more accurate of a scale.

Tim have you looked at our product reviews? We have a section for test kits and I know a few differnt kits have been member reviewed in the past in there.

On the front page and on the bottom or top of every page (depends on what style your using) you will see a link to them.

Back
Top Bottom