Testing Ammonia During Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynniejean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I bought one of those near-death Bettas from Petsmart on a whim thinking he would be a nice desk-buddy in a 1-gallon bowl. Only then did I do some research and learn that he needs more room. So here I am a few days later surrounded by 3 different test kits, Gil getting treated for fin rot in his one-gallon bowl/turned hospital tank, and me learning to cycle his larger more-humane home.

Here's my point of confusion regarding ammonia testing: The water in the tank that's cycling was pre-treated with Prime per the awesome "(Almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" you have posted on this site. So in order to know the true levels of ammonia I have in that cycling tank, I would need to use the API kit I have that tests Total Ammonia...correct?

But when it comes to Gil's water in his bowl, if I use the API kit, it ALWAYS shows ammonia--- even with his Prime-treated water. (I read that I should be doing 100% water changes daily in something that small---hope I'm not stressing him out too much). But if I break out the Seachem Multitest and test only for Free Ammonia, it shows no ammonia present. (The test strips I originally purchased have been cast aside).

So, what I'm thinking is that I can still use up the API for the tank in the cycling process, but use the Multitest free ammonia test in a tank with fish so I can rest assured that the harmful ammonia has been neutralized. Free ammonia testing for established tanks, and Total ammonia testing for cycling tanks. Do I have this right or am I just making a confusing matter even more so? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide :)

Personally I only use the API test & go by it. Prime only detoxifies ammonia for 24-48 hrs & if I get a reading of ammonia I do a water change depending on the amount of ammonia because at some point it will become toxic again. I like things as simple as possible.

Oh, I didn't realize that! So, if I make up his water the day before and put the Prime in at that time, is there a chance that it's not effective against ammonia by the time I change his water?

If your tap water has ammonia in it . . . yes. When I used to sit water out I would add Prime right before I did the water change. Once I got tanks with filters I quit sitting water out. Have you tested your tap? If not, test straight from the tap & also once its sat out for 24 hrs, stir it occasionally in that 24 hr period. That'll give you a baseline for cycling, you'll know what you're starting with.

Wow, this has been fascinating! I just tested straight from our tap, and it's somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0. I tested the water that I had already treated with Prime yesterday, and it's at 0.5. Then I tested what we have been drinking from the Britta (new filter installed 2 days ago) and it read 0.5. So, I think I need to look at alternative water sources for the fish AND the humans! Thank you so much for your insight....it's been an eye-opener and has sold me on this cycling process to encourage nature to help with this issue.

Wow, this has been fascinating! I just tested straight from our tap, and it's somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0. I tested the water that I had already treated with Prime yesterday, and it's at 0.5. Then I tested what we have been drinking from the Britta (new filter installed 2 days ago) and it read 0.5. So, I think I need to look at alternative water sources for the fish AND the humans! Thank you so much for your insight....it's been an eye-opener and has sold me on this cycling process to encourage nature to help with this issue.

It is pretty surprising whats in our tap water. :ermm:
As for water for the fish, the tap is fine, you use Prime & once the tank is fully cycled the ammonia will be processed out within 24 hrs.
Keeps us posted how things progress.

Back
Top Bottom