Tetra Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
okay i got a tetra power head and a box filter both running with active carbon how long until that carbon goes bad

Depends on the quality of the carbon and what chemicals/organics are being absorbed.

I don't use carbon unless I've a specific job for it, e.g. removing medications, tannins and such.
A healthy tank/filter system just doesn't need it.

It is just more crud that manufacturers try to get you to buy.
Just like they say to change media regularly, LOL, I haven't changed media in months/years... Rinse well and reuse.

random manufacturers website said:
Activated carbon removes organic pollutants, some of which discolor the water with a yellowish tint, organic acids, proteins, hormones, antibiotic compounds, and organic compounds as well as a variety of chemicals, medications, metals, and minerals.

Inorganic substances removed are, chlorine, chloramine, colors and odor causing substances such as phenols.

Removed organic, particles and substances adsorbed by the carbon will remain biologically active. Trapped waste particles will still decay and remain part of the aquatic system. Activated carbon is therefore best used on a short term basis and replaced regularly.

The quantity of carbon needed for an aquarium is about 3 tablespoons of carbon for each 50 Gallons of water.
Carbon is quickly used up and can be removed after just 24-48 hours.
If left in the system longer, it will no longer serve its purpose.

normally its said to be 1-2 weeks. if you really want to run carbon in your tank you can just buy a big bag and replace it on your own. its a lot cheaper then buying the media sold by the filter company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom