Tetra not swimming right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 6 days ago, I noticed one of my bloodfin tetras swimming weakly, turning upside down and sinking to the bottom, so I quickly moved him to a hospital tank, thinking he had a swim bladder problem. The 10 gallon hospital tank is barebottom, cycled, water totally clear, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all 0. I added some salt, turned up the heat a bit, and made sure to acclimate him well. 3 days passed and he was looking just fine again, so I was going to move him back to his tank the next morning, but the next morning he wasn't swimming right again. He swims vertically and sinks back down and then swims a bit upside down, and is just all over the place. In the past three days, he has not gotten worse, but he's also not getting better. The tank is still in good condition. I've done two small water changes over the past three days. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all still 0, temperature 81 degrees, pH 7.0. I tried feeding him some crushed pea yesterday, but he wouldn't touch it, so I ground up a fish flake and injected it into the water. He ate that, and I made sure to remove all leftover food before doing that second small water change.

Tetra's normal tank is 55 gallons, was tested just after I moved him and water parameters were all good. Ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate about 10, pH 7.0, temperature 78. All other fish in the tank are just fine.

I've never seen this before. I haven't dealt with sick fish A LOT or anything, but usually a fish with swim bladder problems is either fine in 3 days or dead. I'm just not sure why he would get better and then sick again. Maybe something else is wrong with him? Just wondering if I can fix it or if it's time to euthanize :/

Back
Top Bottom