Tetrafauna Decorative ReptoFilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get a Tetrafauna Decorative ReptoFilter but I have no idea if it works. Anyone have any experience with them?? I would be putting it in a 40g turtle tank. I really don't want to buy a $150 canister filter and that so I would just go with one.

I have one and it works really well. I have it in a tank with fire belly toads and it's awesome. Water is always clear, Keeps water moving quite a bit and it was only $40.

SuckItTrebek said:
I have one and it works really well. I have it in a tank with fire belly toads and it's awesome. Water is always clear, Keeps water moving quite a bit and it was only $40.

Thanks so much for the reply!! What size tank do you have it in?

I have one. Definitely not good enough for a turtle in a 40 gal. It's not even good enough for fish in a 40 gal IME and a turtle needs much better filtration than fish do.

An aquatic turtle such as a red or yellow eared slider is going to quickly outgrow a 40 gal tank so I would recommend purchasing a filter that will also work on the new upgraded tank it will need in the near future. For my RES in a 55gal I went with the Fluval FX5. It's about $212 on Amazon right now which is an awesome deal on it. This filter is powerful enough that I know it will still be sufficient when I upgrade my turt to a 130 gal.

The Fluval 405 which is about $141 would be excellent on your 40 gal, but would not be sufficient for anything larger than 50 gals, and unless your turtle doesn't exceed 5" shell length (which isn't the case with any of the common aquatic pet turtles), this will not be large enough for a permanent home.

I have one. Definitely not good enough for a turtle in a 40 gal. It's not even good enough for fish in a 40 gal IME and a turtle needs much better filtration than fish do.

An aquatic turtle such as a red or yellow eared slider is going to quicly outgrow a 40 gal tank so I would recommend purchasing a filter that will also work on the new upgraded tank it will need in the near future. For my RES in a 55gal I went with the Fluval FX5. It's about $212 on Amazon right now which is an awesome deal on it. This filter is powerful enough that I know it will still be sufficient when I upgrade my turt to a 130 gal.

The Fluval 405 which is about $141 would be excellent on your 40 gal, but would not be sufficient for anything larger than 50 gals, and unless your turtle doesn't exceed 5" shell length (which isn't the case with any of the common aquatic pet turtles), this will not be large enough for a permanent home.

He was a male Eastern Painted Turtle. Thanks for your help on filters but he died a few days ago. I posted on numerous turtle forums and they have no idea why he died. It's a shame I couldn't save him.

Thanks. At least now I have filter options for another turtle. I don't plan on getting one soon though as I don't want it to 'replace' him.

Back
Top Bottom