Tetras for 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What size tank would be a good start for 5 emperor tetras plus maybe a dwarf gourami and some other tetras or mollies that are tough and big an wont get beat up. My aim is a 20 long or maybe a 36 bowfront

Last edited by a moderator:
I would skip the mollies. Your emps will end up bulky so IMO it's best to choose smaller fish to complement them. Lemon tetras get along quite well with emps IME, and they have a nice yellow coloration to them. If you want tetras that are a little smaller than lemons, try gold pristellas. You get the yellow color, just in a little smaller package. Either lemons or pristellas are tough enough to handle the emps. :)

Cool! Would Cory cats work with emperor tetras?

Gouramis any type, with my 5 ordered emperors?

Angelfish?

The yellow tetras would be pretty with purple. I also like ADF frogs! I am trying to learn about community tanks and want to try something new. I have heard so many Cory owners gushing recently my curiosity is piqued. I thought they resembled June bugs, not cute! But personality trumps all

My Betta will only be kept with6 neons and 2 RCS and a few ramshorn snails in my 29. I may add more neons but may add cardinals just to learn about any subtle nuances between their behaviors

I would go with two different tetras that are not only different in color, but in shape as well. For example, the emperors with a more slendered bodied tetra like the rummynose tetra.

If for some reason the emperors don't work out there are other fishes that look very similar, e.g., Kerri tetra and the rainbow emperor. They are all cool looking fish.

Ditto on the 36-gallon!

David

Back
Top Bottom