Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 little red eye tetras that will soon be rehomed in a 35 gallon tank. 5 fish doesn't seem quite enough for a 'school'. do other types of tetra school together or must I get the same type? I know neons and cardinals may school. I do prefer to have a bit or variety if possible in the tank

richardh said:
I have 5 little red eye tetras that will soon be rehomed in a 35 gallon tank. 5 fish doesn't seem quite enough for a 'school'. do other types of tetra school together or must I get the same type? I know neons and cardinals may school. I do prefer to have a bit or variety if possible in the tank

It's better to get the same kind for a school. They MAY hang out with other tetras but not really school.

I would say you need at least 6-8 for a school. They can tend to be nippers even in schools, usually to fish who are slower movers. But others who have kept them may have other opinions.

Will these be the only fish in there? If so, I'd say you could do another school of smaller fish. Remember the red eyes can get to 3 inches.

What about getting a school of corys? Since the tetras are mid-dwellers, you could get something that schools in the bottom.

Others may chime in and give you more options though. ;)

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm trying to balance what's best for the red eyes and best for me :). There's going to be 2 yoyo loaches in there and possibly 3-4 cory of some variety. Also a centre piece fish (question out on another thread - dwarf cichlid seems to be winning). Eventually a school of cardinal tetras when the tank is well established and settled.

Back
Top Bottom