Thank goodness for 2 filters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAnders

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Penguin 200 and Aquaclear 110 on my 55g. Came home from a 4 day trip to a dead Penguin! The motor wasn't too warm and filter and wheel were both wet so it must have been recent.

Water didn't look too bad but I did a quick WC today instead of tomorrow, as I was planning.

I cleaned the impeller and it came back to life but I am thinking of replacing it with a Aquaclear 70.

Good to have a little redundancy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquaclear needs to be primed, I've one but thinking how better to protect it when there is a power trip. It'll run dry until it is primed and may be dead if not attended.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Filtration

Hello JA...

Instead of adding a filter, just add an air stone attached to an air pump with a length of plastic tubing. If by some slim chance the Hagen filter went out, the air stone would aerate the tank water until you repaired the filter. A cost savings of around $40.00.

B

Get the AC 70. At Amazon for $44. You can pack it with floss in addition to the standards media for extra mechanical filtration. This is for a cichlid tank, correct?

Hello JA...

Instead of adding a filter, just add an air stone attached to an air pump with a length of plastic tubing. If by some slim chance the Hagen filter went out, the air stone would aerate the tank water until you repaired the filter. A cost savings of around $40.00.

B

No

Get the AC 70. At Amazon for $44. You can pack it with floss in addition to the standards media for extra mechanical filtration. This is for a cichlid tank, correct?

Yes!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aquaclear needs to be primed, I've one but thinking how better to protect it when there is a power trip. It'll run dry until it is primed and may be dead if not attended.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only if the tank water is low after a power outage. During water changes I lift the lift tube before draining.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Correct. I already bought the 70. It was actually the same price at Pet Smart.

I am sure the Penguin is a fine filter but the trust factor is gone! I did a very complete clean on Sunday so all should have been ok for a few days with no issues.

I'm just glad I have two filters. But I need to do a better job training the wife!!!

Back
Top Bottom