Thanksgiving Tidbits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
To me, our Thanksgiving has become a celebration of our American culture. It's a mixture of giving thanks for a prosperous land and pride in who we are as a nation. It's my favorite holiday so I thought I'd give you all a few facts to contemplate as we prepare to gorge ourselves in the company of family and friends.

The first Thanksgiving took place in 1621. Of the 102 pilgims that made the Mayflower crossing, 56 survived the first winter in MA. They never would have survived without the help of the native population. The feast included these 56 and 91 Indians.

Although a fowling party was sent out to forage for turkey, geese and ducks, it is unsure whether they had any success at all. It is certain that the meal included venison, lobster, corn and boiled pumpkin. There was no flower to make a pumkin pie and potatos were considered poisonous.

George Washington tried, but could not get a concensus for a Thanksgiving holiday which he thought should take place in June. President Jefferson thought the idea of such a holiday was ridiculous.

President Lincoln set the date as the fourth Thursday in Nov., in 1863. He felt the nation needed a morale lift after 2 years of a devestating civil war.

The legal national holiday was not approved by Congress until 1941.

Happy Thanksgiving All :D

Thanks Brian! :D

Christmas is my favorite....then Easter....but Thanksgiving would be my 3rd favorite. Mostly because I love my family and it's a time to really slow down and appreciate them. (and gorge on yummy food) :mrgreen: :lol:

Another tidbit.....President Roosevelt tried to change Thanksgiving to the third Thursday of the month in 1939 so stores could have a longer holiday shopping season. But mass chaos ensued with different states ignoring Roosevelt, others abiding by the new date, and others like the state of Texas celebrating on both Thursdays.

I think it is my favorite holiday, too, since everyone gets together (one of the few times of the year that I see my extended family) and there is no shopping pressure, no gifts, no expectations, and it has not been commercialized and trivialized. It is a low-stress, relaxed and enjoyable holiday for me.

Thanks for the info, Brian - I'll definitely have to use some of that on Thanksgiving. :D

Anyone else have more fun facts about this holiday?

I could certainly support changing tradition from having turkey to having venison and lobster!

Hear! Hear! I'm ALL for that! :p :mrgreen:

Turkey's ok...but grilled venison steaks - YUM. And how can you go wrong with lobster??? I say we start a new movement.... :mrgreen: 8)

LOL. A knish and a bottle of Dr. Browns Cream Soda. Sour pickles and hot cherry peppers. Mmmm making me hungry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

img_530760_0_dd45c0af6d4e8b1c5dfde90d132c3580.gif
img_530760_1_25e9b54e7b837b7c7453637801f253bf.gif
img_530760_2_b189d8accfd19c99d66964efb8fb91aa.gif
img_530760_3_7b73175791e7c2324a1f80acc6da54b8.gif

Now, I'm hungry!

If Benjamin Franklin had had his way, the national bird of the United States would have been the wild turkey rather than the American Bald Eagle. This would have undoubtedly changed our Thanksgiving menu.
Hmmm, I wonder how bald eagle with cranberry stuffing and giblet gravy tastes ?

I wouldn't mind having fresh pheasant instead of turkey. I had pheasant many years ago in a restaurant in Philadelphia, but I've never seen it on a menu since.

I'd also like to try one of the so-called 'heritage' turkeys. They're supposed to be more juicy and flavorful - similar to the turkeys that the first settlers would have eaten - not at all like the mass produced butterballs.

Good one Andy. Did you know that my state, New York was the first state to adopt Thanksgiving as an annual custom in 1817? And, in 1620 the settlers on the Mayflower were looking for northern Virginia. Not surprising as the entire eastern seaboard was then known as the Virginia Company. They actually intended to settle in the Hudson Valley of NY (then called Northern Virginia), but were blown off course by a storm and wound up at Plymouth Rock.

If you're tired of the normal baked turkey on Thanksgiving, try deep frying. VERY yummy and juicy. But be careful. There were 16 houses burned to the ground last year from deep frying a turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom