The Angel Fish Soap Opera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Back story: I had a breeding pair, after the second batch the female ate her mates eye and so I had to separate. She then paired up with an other in the community tank, and at the same time the third adult in that community tank choked on an Otto and died. Then she killed her mate after he ate her eggs. I had two adults die the same day. So now I have just one angel fish in the community tank. A very mean male black angel fish in iso and a one eyed male also in "protective custody".

New problem: we plan to set the 180g back up with plants etc. and are in the cycling/planning stages. We don't really want to breed angels any more at least not for a while. Who goes in to the 180? The two mean Angels? Or just one angel? Maybe only the 1 eye angel?

Next problem: we have one of the off spring from the one eyed angel and my female in a small community tank what do I plan to do with that when it out grows!? Am I looking at an other separate tank? This is getting to be as bad as betas.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get a school or two of loaches for bottom feeders, and I'd say move the one eyed Angel in as a "centerpiece"

Sent via echolocation

Unfortunately, this is the reality of Angelfish breeding. :( The fish don't always come out looking "pretty" and then what do you do with them?:facepalm:
Having just the one eye is not the end of the world to these fish but you need to keep in mind, if you do make this fish your centerpiece fish for the big tank, you need to make sure that the other fish in the tank don't out compete it for food. Remember, it can only see half of what's going on. :blink:

As for the other Angels, you may want to seriously consider trading them in for other types of fish so you don't need to worry about their potential aggressiveness. If you are dead set on keeping Angels, you can also just start out with small ones again and once they mature and if they start pairing off, you can rehome them immediately before they do any damage to themselves or the other fish. Breeding pairs of Angels do bring in more $$$ than just 2 adults. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Unfortunately, this is the reality of Angelfish breeding. :( The fish don't always come out looking "pretty" and then what do you do with them?:facepalm:

Having just the one eye is not the end of the world to these fish but you need to keep in mind, if you do make this fish your centerpiece fish for the big tank, you need to make sure that the other fish in the tank don't out compete it for food. Remember, it can only see half of what's going on. :blink:

As for the other Angels, you may want to seriously consider trading them in for other types of fish so you don't need to worry about their potential aggressiveness. If you are dead set on keeping Angels, you can also just start out with small ones again and once they mature and if they start pairing off, you can rehome them immediately before they do any damage to themselves or the other fish. Breeding pairs of Angels do bring in more $$$ than just 2 adults. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Andy, I took your advice. I found a lady who works at a big box pet store that ends in "o" that has a 29tall planted tank that sounds like a great fit for either my female angel or the mean black angel. She has been looking for a single large angel and would be happy to take one of the two full sized ones with both eyes. The one who stays will be the center piece in the big tank.

What about one eyed Willie and his baby going in to the 55g until the they start fighting? Willie is much less aggressive now. Or do you think he would be less stressed in his own 20g?

Get a school or two of loaches for bottom feeders, and I'd say move the one eyed Angel in as a "centerpiece"
The 5 clown loaches will be moving in to the 180 and I'll be adding a bunch of rummy nose tetra. Plus one of the Angels. Great idea.

Sent via echolocation

What about one eyed Willie and his baby going in to the 55g until the they start fighting? Willie is much less aggressive now. Or do you think he would be less stressed in his own 20g?

Glad the advice helped. :D(y)
As for Willie, it will depend on the other fish in with him. Obviously he would prefer a larger swimming area but not if it is filled with fast eaters and fin nippers. Too much competition. :facepalm: So the less stressed version is one where the fish can get food and shelter and not be hassled. Whichever tank that is, that's the one I would go with. (y)

Back
Top Bottom