The Best Buffering Method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been a rare, nearly non-existent occasion that I have to do something to alter PH myself. Presently, I need to stabilize one of my tanks.

What's the best method to buffer and slowly raise PH and hold it in the 7.8-8.0 range? I've seen people mention using Aragonite sand in their filters/sumps, or adding limestone until the desired PH is reached and held. Not really sure which is going to be the best way to do this, but I don't really want to go adding chemicals to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, awesome! Thanks, for some reason that idea never popped up in any of my searches.

I used Super Buffer by Kent for my brackish tank when making water. I was able to raise and stabilize my ph.

I hit up one of my LFS today and found Carribsea Geo-Marine Crushed Coral. I didn't purchase it right away because I noticed on the bag it said "Aragonite Formula". Is this what I should be after, or should I find a different type?

That sounds more expensive than your typical bag of dry crushed coral. I think a 20lb bag costs about $10 at my LFS. Otherwise, that should work fine. Just rinse it out and put some in a mesh bag or pantyhose or something of that nature in your filter or somewhere with good flow

Back
Top Bottom