the best live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemyangelfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to know what the best live plants are for a freshwater 1o gallon aquarium, i have a angel right now and a algea eater but im changing this tank to a community tank with guppies, mollies, and platys. I want a variety of plants, also my tank is close to a window so my tank is really bright. I have a couple bamboo rods growing in there right now, is that okay for the fish?

To keep the bamboo from rotting the leaves need to be out of the water. Just like when people have them for decor in a room or at the office. The roots need to be kept in water, the rest doesn't. I have stems of it growing in our 20 and it's doing wonderfully. The portions that have leaves are usually sold in fish stores as "white ribbon" or "gold ribbon" plants and are not fully aquatic.

The plants would depend on your lighting. For our low tech tanks I just go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or Ace (where ever I'm closest too) and buy the 6500k daylight bulbs that fit the length of the light strip.

Anubias, crypts, java ferns, bolbitis fern, java moss, and some stem plants do well in a low-tech tank.

To keep the bamboo from rotting the leaves need to be out of the water. Just like when people have them for decor in a room or at the office. The roots need to be kept in water, the rest doesn't. I have stems of it growing in our 20 and it's doing wonderfully. The portions that have leaves are usually sold in fish stores as "white ribbon" or "gold ribbon" plants and are not fully aquatic.

The plants would depend on your lighting. For our low tech tanks I just go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or Ace (where ever I'm closest too) and buy the 6500k daylight bulbs that fit the length of the light strip.

Anubias, crypts, java ferns, bolbitis fern, java moss, and some stem plants do well in a low-tech tank.

+1!

Also, the roots of the bamboo have been known to grow into the silicone of the aquarium, causing it to leak.

I've seen that said on here a time or two and honestly I think it's a farce. I've had mine going for 3 years in our 20 and no problems at all.

Ive just heard of reports of that, never really experienced it myself. Ive been wanted to test if that was true or not, but thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom