The best water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have to consider this change. I generally dislike wastefulness/garbage so the python isn't my favorite but I have considered it a necessary evil because I'm not going to bucket 60 gallons of water.

I will have to consider this change. I generally dislike wastefulness/garbage so the python isn't my favorite but I have considered it a necessary evil because I'm not going to bucket 60 gallons of water.

Do you have a garden or flowers and stuff??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a garden or flowers and stuff??

I do use tank water for those, I fill a bucket worth and keep it outside. I can't drain to the outside as we have severe drainage problems and it becomes a swamp and we get water under the house.

Turn your basement into a garden!!!

Turn your basement into a garden!!!

Appealing, but it doesn't work like that here :p Our basements are crawl spaces, and we have a sump pump down there to get rid of the water, it's that bad. There is an underground spring under our backyard :nono: It's a mess.

Anyway I could send it to a sink somewhere if I was inclined, although I'm not sure then how you vacuum

Appealing, but it doesn't work like that here :p Our basements are crawl spaces, and we have a sump pump down there to get rid of the water, it's that bad. There is an underground spring under our backyard :nono: It's a mess.

Anyway I could send it to a sink somewhere if I was inclined, although I'm not sure then how you vacuum

Honestly I rarely vacuum. When I do though I just use a regular siphon and bucket to vacuum the substrate really quickly. I can vacuum the entire floor of my 150 without filling up a 5 gallon bucket. The Python never gave me enough pressure anyways to vacuum. It'd suck stuff up about 1/2 way into the tube then I'd have to slowly swirl it and lift the tube to coax the waste from just falling back out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Honestly I rarely vacuum. When I do though I just use a regular siphon and bucket to vacuum the substrate really quickly. I can vacuum the entire floor of my 150 without filling up a 5 gallon bucket. The Python never gave me enough pressure anyways to vacuum. It'd suck stuff up about 1/2 way into the tube then I'd have to slowly swirl it and lift the tube to coax the waste from just falling back out.

That's my one complaint about it. I use a small siphon hose into a bucket that has more power to it.

Caleb

Okay I'm thinking about a drip system for my tanks. The overflow will then drain to a rain barrel outside by way of a clear water pump from harbor freight watering the garden and pond that I've begun hopefully after all said and done I'll have little to no waste over the summer months winter may be another story though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you sure you have the Venturi tight? When mine was a little lose it would do that. But, once I tightened it the suction was great!

Are you sure you have the Venturi tight? When mine was a little lose it would do that. But, once I tightened it the suction was great!

Yeah I've checked that everything was tightened as much as possible. I think there's just too much slack even using the 25' one. The path of the hose goes from inside my tank, up and down the outside of my tank to the floor then straight up to my bathroom sink. I'm sure if I cut the hose to where it fit without all the ups and downs it would help out or if I made some kind of path that would eliminate the ups the water has to travel through but it's just easier and quicker to use a gravel vacuum and pond pump.

Well, I checked my idea today and it works really well. I am using a regular syphon and sending the water straight out the window into my bushes. It took about 3 minutes to drain what I needed. Sooo easy!

Back
Top Bottom