The classic tacky tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The classic tacky tank *UPDATED WITH PICS*

For my sons (2 years old) first tank and to talk my wife into it I agreed to set up the classic tacky tank for them (diver, treasure chest, pirate ship, neon plants, the works). I generally lean towards the more natural look so
I need some inspiration for my compromise.

Does anyone have such a tank that they can post some pictures of?

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

I think a tacky enough tank could be a fun one! Especially for the 2 year old! :)

welcome to AA!!!

i also, have always strayed towards the more natural look... but always admired those who kept tanks with neon plants and multi-color gravel...

I think the "tacky" tank is making a big come back. Sunken pirate ships, diver etc. I've been seeing a lot of them. I think they're actually pretty great...retro and all that. The sunken submarine is a personal favorite.

I think the "tacky" tank is making a big come back. Sunken pirate ships, diver etc. I've been seeing a lot of them. I think they're actually pretty great...retro and all that. The sunken submarine is a personal favorite.

Isn't that an oxymoron? lol

As an Ex-submariner, I don't think I'd be a fan.

Maybe you could compromise and do a natural looking tank but stick one of those bubbling treasure chest with a diver right in the middle.

here is our 10 gallon we had set up for our 2 y/o daughter. this was before we found this site. we shortly after added 2 rosy barbs who passed away, which is when i found this site, tore the tank down, restarted with a 20 gal, decided on a planted tank and a fishless cycle. i did really love this tank though, clown puke and all. it was hard to look at after Rosy and Barber passed, though. so now it's going to be a QT tank (prob with blue gravel instead of pink/purple). sorry the pic isn't great. we had just set it up so there were still bubbles all over everything.

Here it is... I think I am going to change out the plants behind the pirate ship for something a little taller so there are different height plants.

What do you think?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

ahhh... I see I still need a mod to approve posts with pics... tripple post now... sorry

Don't forget the shark wearing shades and holding a sign that says "No fishing." XD

My first tank (the wifey picked the decor) aka Hippie's Nightmare:
phoca_thumb_l_10g7.jpg

I eventually got to make it more natural and swapped the gravel for sand and all real plants. I really got to take a updated picture, I don't think I have any from the past 6 months.

I see the walmart 'barrels' are a popular decor item :)

The Spongebob ones are definitely tacky. I know that at my Petsmart we also have Dora the Explorer. I shudder making this suggestion! XD

there was a post somewhere possible the craigslist hilarity one where the tank was built into like castles and stuff. then you can combine tacky tank and tacky stand. :)

Back
Top Bottom