The danio paradox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The levels in my 180 are finally the same as my 29 and I thought it would be nice to move the school of six assorted long finned danios to the bigger tank to let them have more room to run. Great idea right? Wrong. Have you ever tried to catch a danio who doesn't want to be caught in a heavily planted tank with drift wood? Nope? Me either.

I managed to get all three females and the juvenile male but my two adult males have been elusive. I've stressed them to the point they won't even come out any more. My next hair brained idea? Why not just put the females back so every one can be together?? Have you ever tried to catch a danio in a 180gal who didn't want to be caught? So that's not happening either.

Here are my choices:
1. let the schools remain split indefinitely until my six fry are big enough to add to the 29 to at least give the males one more.
2. Take all my plants out and try to catch them. This is complicated by my six shrimpettes hiding in the drift wood and plants. Who are still vulnerable to the gourami
3. I go to the lfs and buy them adult danio friend for immediate gratification?
4.Maybe you have a better idea?? I'm hoping so.

They would be so much happier with their school. And I think the girls miss them! They're all so full of eggs and that blue boy just can't seem to catch up with the demand. Is it normal in a large tank for them to get "lost"? They some times get separated and swim aimlessly until they bump in to each other again.

Ahhh yes, danios are some of the more frustrating ones to catch. Rather than chasing them all over, try setting up a fish trap (basically it's a glass or plastic bottle with food inside) and watch until they go in, then pick up the bottle once they're inside, dump it into a net, then hand pick out any extra fish that got caught that don't need to come out? That's the best way I found to catch mine when they didn't want to be caught.

I didn't think that would would for danios but I bet you're right! A cube of brine shrimp in a jar!! Great idea.

I had similar trouble moving mine to a new tank a few years ago, but now I accidentally catch the goofy things all the time when feeding, especially when I'm trying to melt a bloodworm cube. Along the same lines as the bottle trap suggestion, cup of food/floating food + cup for scooping = danios in a cup.

Good luck!

Omg. I tried both of your suggestions... But they're too fast and too smart. I ended up taking all the plants and drift wood out. Did a quick vacuum and when the water was low we tag teamed them with two nets. Probably stressed every one out and we netted a few unsuspecting rasboras.

All the danios have been reunited and every one seems much happier. I wonder if they remember each other? Poor rasboras have been schooling for the last three hours.

And now I have a new problem: My 30 tall seems so boring with out the danios annoying every one.

Stock:
7 rasboras
5 nerite snails
2 dwarf guarmi
2 male guppies
2 ghosties

Should I add more rasboras or maybe get a school of neons? I swear my snails move faster than the rasboras. Or maybe I just let this be the peaceful tranquil tank? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402532850.816613.jpg

Neons are pretty slow too... I'd go with a school of Threadfin Rainbows instead. They have some neat fin-flicking action and get along fine with all the other fish you listed :)

Back
Top Bottom