The Dark Ages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gryph

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was living in the Dark Ages.

I thought that I had it handled. So clever, I thought. I saved a cat litter bucket, and ten one-gallon jugs which used to hold iced tea from the store. With these, I performed water changes using a common gravel vacuum from Wal-Mart. Low expense! We don't need any of those fancy modern things with the high price tags. Pure silliness, those.

Of course, I had a few mishaps. The bucket did overflow occasionally, especially if I wasn't watching it. My husband found this reasonably annoying, especially given the quantity of computer equipment we have. So I started hanging the hose out the sliding glass door when I could. It drained right outside! No bucket needed!

I began to develop a hump on my back, similar to Quasimodo, from stooping over to fill iced tea jugs in the bathtub. My shoulders grew muscular, but my back ached. The jugs cluttered up the room. The kids kept tripping over the cat litter bucket.

Then, the fateful night arrived. Last night. As I drained water from the big Tanganyikan tank, I had to run out of the room a moment. My son came in from outside, dislodging the siphon drain hose from where I had squashed it in the door. It began draining all over the floor.

My husband discovered this small Lake Tanganyika before I did. He didn't shout, neither did he glare. He helped me sop it up. Then he gave me a sweet, loving smile and said, "Christmas is coming early for you, hon. Tomorrow. I know exactly what to get for you."

Today, we ventured to Petsmart. He walked directly to the gravel vacuum aisle, as I pestered the aquarium lackey for a plant. After a moment, he came back with a 50' Python, shiny and new, wrapped in a package. He carted it up to the cash register, paid for it (and my plant), then, as we stood outside the door, he solemnly handed it to me.

"Merry Christmas," he said.

Oh, the glory! The angels sang as I hooked it up to the sink. The water drained itself out, and filled itself up! No muss, no fuss, no tiny Tanganyika. Pure bliss, so fast, no buckets, no hunchback! What a marvelous thing, this serpentine piece of plastic hose. I laughed with glee at the wonders of modern engineering.

I have lived in the Dark Ages. I have done six gallon water changes by the bucket, followed by two fours and two twos. I have broken my back, toiled and sweated, and all because of my hide-bound ways.

I have a Python. I have joy. Better...I have dry carpeting.

that was awesome.. congrats on your new piece of equipment... now if i could just find an adaptor to fit on my sink...

I still use the bucket method because the tanks are to far away from the sink to use a python. :(

LOL Congrats on the best piece of equipment ever made! :D

Blaze- How far is the sink from the tank?

Wow, what a great story! Believe me, I would have done the same if my wife were developing a six-pack, 22" biceps and a hump on her back from water changes. :)

Lol love the story after filling my 75 gallon fish tank with 1 gallon jugs of water I bought a python the next day. Cant live without it :p

Great story, Gryph! In addition to a great piece of equipment, the Python, it sounds like you have a very understanding husband too. :D

Toirtis said:
Gryph said:
I have a Python. I have joy. Better...I have dry carpeting.
Bah...I have 5 gallon buckets...I have deltoids like christmas hams. :lol:

Toirtis, you're starting to sound like my father... "Why, in my day we didn't have any of these new-fangled python gadgets. Why, we didn't even have buckets. We did water changes using our cupped hands....a mile uphill....in the snow....with no shoes....! :p

Blazeherd2306 said:
I still use the bucket method because the tanks are to far away from the sink to use a python. :(
They make a 100' model. Are your sinks further than that? If so, you must be building some serious muscles moving buckets back and forth! Who needs a gym? :p

Ashley have you tried any waterbed adapters? Sometimes they work with the tap and the python.

I love my python, I think it is the best investment I have made with my tanks. :D

I would tell anyone with over a 10 gal tank to get a Python. I now have two 90 gal tanks and probably wouldn't still be in the hobby without it. My first tank was ajacent to a basement bathroom. The faucet was shot any way so I replaced with a $20 laundry faucet that has hose threads. While its not pretty, I can attach my Python in a minute. If you need adapters for you faucet check out www.DrsFosterSmith.com

get the short pyton.. then go over to the hardware store in the bulk hose section and pick out some hose.. you can make it as long as they have hose! LOL

the story was classic..
and well.. Ive used the bucket method for most of the time Ive been in the hobby.. cant say it was the biggest workout but it does work.. Christian's tanks and bucket collection sounds scarry @.@ ROFL

get the short pyton.. then go over to the hardware store in the bulk hose section and pick out some hose.. you can make it as long as they have hose! LOL

Depends on the situation Bill. We are in a perdicament right now with trying to make a home made Python. After going to the hardware store, it would have definately been cheaper just to buy the bigger Python. Considering that the hoses were $.82 per foot, we needed 150 feet. Thats $123 for tubing. Then the additional parts. So instead, purchase a 100 ft Python for $63 plus the 50 ft of tubing for $41 and round out at $104. BUT, we couldn't imagine spending that much for water changes so we just bought garden hoses. LOL Weird setup, but it works. :D

"Toirtis, you're starting to sound like my father... 'Why, in my day we didn't have any of these new-fangled python gadgets. Why, we didn't even have buckets. We did water changes using our cupped hands....a mile uphill....in the snow....with no shoes....!' Razz"

ROTFL, hilarious. Anyway, I love python. I couldn't imagine doing manual water changes on my 75gal without it.

lol i just got one for x-mas, and when i started it up for the first time ......

I giggled with glee as loud as i could!!!!! then i thought after, that my neighboors must think i'm weird????? lol :mrgreen:

Ya know, I have a python. It works great. Still way to much work for me. Seeing as to how it is just about the one year anniversary for my "ultimate water change system" I shall post a link to it now. One year of effortless water changes, no problems! Unless you count the time I was refilling the holding tank, went upstairs for "just a minute" and forgot I was filling the holding tank.....

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0015.htm

Back
Top Bottom