The Discus Thesis Progress Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is driftwood in the tank- it's just two tiny pieces; you can't see at the angle of the photo because they lie flat. The plan is to get more when we get more money in the early summer.

It is a 125 gallon tank. It had more than 4 small discus originally...

Temperature is 84 degrees, and I feed them a quality flake food once a day and vary it with frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms.

Feed 2-3 timea daily. And ill send you some moss. Plants and driftwood are imperative. I can send some jungle vals to. I'd also move them to the 55 for growing out. Itll be easier to plant and easier for them to find food. Remember they are slow eaters, so that gravel lets a lot of food become inaccessible to them. It slips through the craks soto say. Theyll eat for an hour aftef you feed them. Theyll go for foid thats floating or dropping. But they dontveat fast enough to get enough ad its falling.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest a fine grain substrate. I dont like sand myself but ir works fine

Feed 2-3 timea daily. And ill send you some moss. Plants and driftwood are imperative. I can send some jungle vals to. I'd also move them to the 55 for growing out. Itll be easier to plant and easier for them to find food. Remember they are slow eaters, so that gravel lets a lot of food become inaccessible to them. It slips through the craks soto say. Theyll eat for an hour aftef you feed them. Theyll go for foid thats floating or dropping. But they dontveat fast enough to get enough ad its falling.

Currently the 55 houses a massive oscar that came with the 125 (the tank was a donation to the university). So I can't do anything with the 55 at the moment. It's filthy because it seems like no one is taking care of it.... I have half a mind to start doing so myself.

I've actually slowly started removing the gravel but I don't want to do it all at once. I'm basically vaccuming up the gravel along with the water using a really big hose for water changes.

Once I get rid of all the gravel I'll add... something.

You could rehome the Oscar @ LFS, & then bleach the tank.

We're just full of good tips huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No not THAT north lol. More like central Maine really but nobody goes past Old Orchard Beach and everything past it is "northern maine"

No one?? Helped my buddy build a Maine mansion up in stratton/Eustis.. god's country baby! Love it up there.. 6 hour drive kind of hurts though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about just switching them then? I really don't know if a125 is too big, but I do think a 55 would be perfect.

I'm still confused as to how long this project is going to take. Shouldn't you be working with proven pairs?

What about just switching them then? I really don't know if a125 is too big, but I do think a 55 would be perfect.

I'm still confused as to how long this project is going to take. Shouldn't you be working with proven pairs?

I've got at least a year and a half. I dunno, maybe I should. And at this point I don't want to switch them because the 55 has a massive, poorly cared for oscar and the water is constantly cloudy. I'm scared to even test the water. I think the student in charge of the tanks in that room besides mine isn't actually doing anything.

Better yet ... Are the discus still alive?

Well I've got this proven pair of 5"+ turk discus to donate, but I haven't heard a word for a week or so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought he said he was finished this Friday. But I'm usually wrong anyways. Lol. It's finals time here too. Almost done working til fall semester. Yay.

Being a fly on the wall in this frat house is hilarious. Ahhhh.... College. I'm old, lol.

Back
Top Bottom