The Florida Keys in Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got back from a vacation to the Florida Keys and thought I would share some of the pictures I took while there. I'm a freshwater guy, not a salty, but I found the Keys to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I went snorkeling for the first time and was absolutely blown away. Saltwater is definitely in my future now. Here goes:

The greedy, fat pelican that sat on the end of the pier wanting me to throw him some baitfish:

Big_Mouth_x800.jpg

The incredible bungalows on the beach at the resort that we stayed at on Islamorada Key:

Playa_del_Cheeca_x800.jpg

An egret that was more than happy to pose for pictures at the end of the 500' pier than jutted out from Cheeca Lodge:

Poser_x800.jpg

A shot of Cheeca Lodge from the end of their incredible pier:

End_of_the_Pier_x800.jpg

One of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. I wish the photo could do it justice:

Sunset_x800.jpg

thats stunning travis. i am scared to see what u could do with salt water. i just took the plunge myself and couldnt be happier.

Beautiful pics. Since I am under 3 feet of snow, I appreciate those pics in ways that some may not be able to. LOL. Thanks for sharing them.

Beautiful pics. I've been to the keys about 4 times, but that's because I'm not that far from them. The snorkeling is awesome.

Did you visit Robbies in Islamorada? It's the restaurant where you can feed wild tarpon. That was the most memorable moment for me when I went to Islamorada.

They even have a website. http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

You see the best sunrises AND sunsets in the keys... I go every year.

Travis, the next time you go to the keys, take the Fast Catamaran seventy miles into the Gulf to the Dry Tortuga Islands... Theres an old US military fort called Fort Jefferson, it is an island that you can camp on and the snorkeling there makes the keys look like a deserted reef.

mr funktastic said:
thats stunning travis. i am scared to see what u could do with salt water.

That was my EXACT thought!

Really great photos! Even the twilight pics are colorful. I bet it was a great trip, very pretty.

its amazing their is it not! I spent a week their 2 years ago for a extra biology school trip! we snorkeled for 2 day's, and went to a aquarium, and a mangrove sanctuary, and stuff like that!

Back
Top Bottom