The myth of infinite acclimation in freshwater fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalto

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I first entered the hobby I was taught the same things we all have heard many times over. "Fish are adaptable", "it is more important to keep a stable chemistry" or "it is all about the acclimation procedure" So after spending many, many hours researching equipment and fish I setup my first aquarium. A 75 gallon Perfecto with lovely brown fake wood trim. Bought some "hardy" fish to cycle it with, got through my cycle and started adding fish. Some would die during the acclimation process or a few days later but many would survive and do well in my aquariums. I knew they were doing well because they were swimming around and eating food. During this time my wife and kids also had aquariums filled with a variety of community fish. We learned that some fish were hardier than others. The hardy fish seemed indestructible and the sensitive fish would sometimes die inexplicably during small water changes or for no obvious reasons at all.

After a little bit of time keeping fish I became interested in Tanganyikan cichlids of various types. I quickly learned that they were all super hardy fish. I almost never lost fish during acclimation. Even fish that were widely known as being difficult such as Tropheus I found very easy to keep. 75% water changes became the norm for me and there were no issues with these hardy fish known as cichlids. My wifes interests had moved to mbuna and these fish exhibited the same qualities. At this point I thought cichlids were the best fish ever. So much easier to keep than general community fish. Over time, my interests shifted again and I began to be interested in South American cichlids. Mysteriously, these fish began to display the same types of problems as I had with the community fish I had kept earlier on. I would have losses during or shortly after acclimation, mysterious deaths at random times. Especially when dealing with smaller/younger cichlids.

At this point, I began to realize that the fish I thought were "sensitive" or "fragile" all came from the softer waters of South America, Asia or West Africa and the fish I thought were "hardy" all came from the harder waters of Central America or the African rift lakes. My water tap water is hard and alkaline. Last time I tested my tap water it was pH 7.8, KH 12, GH 20+. I had enough anecdotal evidence to consider that maybe hardness does matter after all. So I decided to try setting up an RODI system and started keeping my fish that originated from softer waters in......softer water. Not surprisingly for some of you, this had the desired effect of turning almost all my fish into "hardy" fish. I stopped losing SA cichlids during acclimation, I was able to stop worrying about every water change with those fish. Even small tetras became easier to deal with. What was more surprising to me was the behavioral changes. Many of my fish became more active and started displaying different behaviors. I started thinking that maybe what I had been taught about acclimation and water conditions was not quite right.

Lately, I have been thinking about what was really contributing to my success and failure and how to measure it. Even though I had been thinking about "soft" water and "hard" water I think that dGH can't really be the right measure. I believe this because for much of my time in the hobby my water has been passing through a household water softener. All the water I have has 0 dGH. While my hard water fish seemed to thrive in this water, my soft water fish did not. Because of this, I believe that the primary thing that I can measure is Total Dissolved Solids(TDS).

Here are some of things I have come to believe from the information referenced above and my time as an aquarist since.

TDS is king:
Take a look at this informative post written by Caliban07 for details of why TDS matters. Please note, I am not saying that other factors such as dGH and pH do not matter. I simply believe they don't matter as much as TDS. Moreover, in naturally occurring water I suspect that dGH and TDS values would be fairly well correlated although I have never tried to collect data to validate this belief. I feel like this point is especially important because I see a lot of posts that start out with "I have pH 7.8 water will I be able to keep <insert random fish here>?" In reality, I am always trying to figure out how hard their water is.

Fish are adaptable:
Fish are amazingly adaptable creatures but I think that we sometimes overstate how adaptable they are because we really want to keep them in our aquaria. While I do not believe that you have to provide the exact correct chemistry I also don't believe that you can move them drastically from one end of the spectrum to the other. What makes this difficult is that many people have water that is either very hard or very soft. Moreover, most tropical fish come from water that is either very hard or very soft. This means that most of the time the water is fairly close to natural conditions or very far away.

Surviving is not the same as thriving:
As far as I know, there is no meter or system of measure which describes the level of appropriateness of the environment for the fish. I am not sure why, but the two common ones used seem to that the fish is alive and exhibiting spawning behavior. While being "not dead" and reproducing are both good things I struggle to believe that they are indicators of a thriving organism. Unfortunately, I don't have anything that is universally better. What I do have is my own observations as I moved fish from one environment to another and the related changes in mortality rates and behavioral changes.

There are fragile fish:
While I firmly believe that fragile fish exist, there are not as many as it sometimes seems. Most of the truly fragile fish I have come across are due to breeding practices such as being line bred poorly or being pumped with hormones to improve color. Also, poor care and/or shipment of the fish at a young age are common problems that cause apparent fragility.

Here are some of the counter arguments or common sayings I see on a fairly regular basis and my thoughts on them:

It is more important to keep a steady water chemistry than have a highly specific chemistry:
I certainly agree that it is better, relatively speaking, to have a steady water chemistry than one that is bouncing around. However, that does not infer that you can keep any fish in any water as long as it is stable. That being said, I completely agree that dumping all sorts of chemicals into a tank in order to alter water chemistry is fraught with peril. Especially if you are trying to turn hard, alkaline water into soft, acidic water. It is possible to alter water chemistry and still provide stable conditions. It may take some effort or money depending on what you need to alter.

Captive bred fish no longer need the parameters of their wild bred brethren:
It seems hard to believe that a few generations of captive breeding can erase centuries of evolution. There is no doubt that fish evolve rapidly but that seems a little too rapid to be reasonable. Even when dealing with soft water fish that were bred in hard water they seem to appreciate being acclimated back to softer, more acidic conditions. Now, the exception to this would be some of the species which have been captive bred for 100's of generations. Examples of this would be the domestic angelfish or the domestic platy. This actually isn't the case for most fish though. Only long-time heavily line-bred fish typically get bred for this many generations. With most other fish even the tank raised variety are not that many generations removed from wild stock.

Most fish are captive bred in hard water anyway:
It is true that many of the fish farms in Florida have hard water. However, it is not true that most of the captive bred fish come from Florida. On top of that, more fish are wild caught than most people seem to think. I see wild stock of common fish on a pretty regular basis. Also, many of the species we keep either have not been captive bred or are not regularly bred in captivity.

Your local store probably has the same water you do so as long as your buying from a local source everything will be good:
Easily the most baffling of the opinions I see and one of the most common. Speaking logically, how does a few days or weeks in your local store magically cause fish to evolve to handle different water? Once again, the only thing you can really infer from this is that the fish are not dead. While being alive is certainly something I look for in fish I am buying it doesn't mean they are in peak health or that they have not been weakened by the forced acclimation. The reality is that many fish are able to adapt to temporarily survive in different conditions. However, that does not translate to them thriving in those conditions for their whole life.

I have kept <insert fish here> in my water for years they are thriving:
This statement is sometimes followed by the fact that they saw spawning behavior so they must be ideal conditions. My question will always be the same, how do you know they are thriving? Did you also have a tank in the appropriate water for the fish where you compared their behavior and life spans? If not, how did you determine that there was no difference?

For those people that were actually willing to read to this point in this unexpectedly long post I hope that even if you don't agree with me I have given you some things to think about. If this is making sense to you and you are wondering what you can do about it, I think there are really two solutions to the problem.

The easiest one is simply to keep fish that come from conditions that are not too far off from your tap water. The other solution is to alter the chemistry to something that is closer to what the fish need. The exact method for doing this will vary greatly depending on what kind of water you are starting from and where you are trying to get to but it can always be done. In some cases, it is easier or less expensive than others. In general, it is a lot easier to make water harder and more alkaline than it is to make it softer and more acidic.

Is everything above accurate? Probably not. For one thing it is mostly based on anecdotal evidence. Moreover, I have no experience taking hard water fish and keeping them in soft water. Only the opposite. Therefor, I am simply assuming that the effects are similar. Lastly, if there is one thing I have learned about this hobby it is that few things are absolute and different species of fishes are unique in many ways.

I do, however, know that I have been a much more successful aquarist since I started keeping fish in waters more appropriate to their origin.

Last edited:
I agree, this is a great post. I just wanted to add that the FL farm fish, in outdoor ponds, etc, are not necessarily kept in hard water either. Everyone equates FL to hard water which is justified to some extent, but it doesn't necessarily dictate the methods used by the suppliers and breeders.

I like it! I was lucky to have an lfs that supplied great soft water fish to fit my softwater....water! Also the knowledge to guide me in the right direction. Although I'm still pretty new to all this I can't help but wholeheartedly agree with your post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice post, sometimes we are far to quick to try and ignore other peoples observations and findings because they are based on "anecdotal" evidence, rather than scientific evidence. Truth of the matter is that far more science is based on observations than is based on experimentation. Granted those observations have to be accurate and carefully documented as well as reproducible in order to make them scientific, but much of science is bases on making observations such as this, and then attempting to gather the data to either support or refute ones observations.

All that said, I also would tend to agree with much of your posts/observations. My water is also hard and until I invested in a RO/DI unit, keeping softwater fish was extremely difficult, if not impossible.

The only part I would question to some degree, is the observation on TDS. Not to discount its importance entirely - it is obviously something that is monitored in many different situations, but rather as an indicator of "hardness of water". There are far too many things that constitute TDS that are not even chemically based for it to be an effective indicator of water hardness IMO. Now in this case, it may be case of semantics, in that you are saying hardness, but in reality you are using it as an indicator of fish suitability, rather than actual hardness.

The only part I would question to some degree, is the observation on TDS. Not to discount its importance entirely - it is obviously something that is monitored in many different situations, but rather as an indicator of "hardness of water". There are far too many things that constitute TDS that are not even chemically based for it to be an effective indicator of water hardness IMO. Now in this case, it may be case of semantics, in that you are saying hardness, but in reality you are using it as an indicator of fish suitability, rather than actual hardness.
Indeed, this was something I struggled with I was re-reading it. I considered replacing hardness and softness with "low tds" and "high tds" but softness and hardness seemed easier to understand even if the terms are being used somewhat incorrectly. The other things I struggled with was trying to figure out if all TDS was equal. In other words, is the TDS that comes from dissolved plant matter the same(from the fish suitability perspective) as the TDS that comes from magnesium content? I honestly am not sure.

This is a good post for those not having success keeping fish for longer periods of time. It definitely helps explain WHY.
I do have some issues I'd like to address:
For starters, Florida fish farmers do not necessarily have hard water. Back in "the day" when the fish farming was done in S. FL ( where I used to live), this may have been true however, most fish farms moved to the Central Florida area ( parallel to where I live now) in part for the better water quality. I have much softer water here ( GH = 50-75 ppm from my well water) compared to S.FL ( GH=200-400 ppm) while still having a higher PH ( 8.0-8.4) similar to S. FL. I also worked in one of the biggest S. American fish importers/ wholesale house in S. FL where the tank sections for the S.A. fish were converted to soft acidic water for the imported fish. We found that after the change over, the newly arriving fish did 100 times better than when we only acidified the natural tap water. So again, just because the fish were coming from FL does not mean the fish are in hard alkaline water.

Second is in regards to breeding fish. Having been breeding fish for well over 45 years, the one main feature that I have found to be true always is that if the fish are not in the best of health they do not breed. Even given the best of water conditions, unhealthy fish will not breed. It is my opinion that breeding IS a good measure of a fishes actual health. I see this whenever I change a fish's feeding schedule or food types. Reduction of these things leads to the fish not spawning, at least for me. Is this proof positive? NO, but it sure seems to be. ;)

I do agree with most of your post and thank you for posting it. (y)

That's amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it all together!

In particular I appreciate the nuanced views and the grey areas you respect. Everyone here (myself fully included) who hands out advice could learn from phrasing things so carefully.

TDS is a fascinating topic, one I hope we will see more on soon. I do just seen one study on sudden deaths and acclimation, that concluded changes in TDS are harder on fish than changes in pH. At least that's more than is in my favorite old fish book, which says osmotic stress is one of the most important things to consider but there's no measuring methods to predict it. I understand the cheapo tds meter from amazon is imperfect but at least it's an inexpensive and handy clue.

Standing ovation, from the peanut gallery.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Regarding Andy's comment on breeding and health ...

I think one aspect to throw out there is the claim of some experienced fish breeders that some "delicate" fish will breed in water that doesn't match their ideal pH, GH, and KH ... IF there are massive water changes. This may again speak to TDS. Or, fish can thrive with one parameter "off" if another parameter is supercharged. Badly worded but you know what I mean.

Regarding Andy's comment on breeding and health ...

I think one aspect to throw out there is the claim of some experienced fish breeders that some "delicate" fish will breed in water that doesn't match their ideal pH, GH, and KH ... IF there are massive water changes. This may again speak to TDS. Or, fish can thrive with one parameter "off" if another parameter is supercharged. Badly worded but you know what I mean.

I'm not sure I follow? "Ideal" conditions is too vague. For example, I am an Angelfish breeder and have been for over 40 years. In my home in NJ, I had soft, acidic water and produced some very nice fish. I moved to S. FL in 1974 and started breeding Angelfish that were born and raised in S. FL water ( very hard and Alkaline) and also had very good results. However, I had brought down a breeding trio of Angels with me from NJ and while I was able to acclimate them to the new water, I never got them to breed again. This would be a good example of surviving but not thriving as if they were thriving, they should have been breeding again just like the fish from FL were. So was it the TDS that stopped them from breeding? Probably, but the fish that were from FL found these conditions "ideal" for spawning.
Another point, on a recent trip back to NJ, I picked up fish along the way in other states that also had soft acidic water and brought them back to Central FL. I had softened the water here to a 0 GH and reduced the PH to 6.5 and the fish did well and eventually spawned. Over the course of a few weeks ( 4-6) I had raised the PH and hardness of the fry water to my regular well water. I am now waiting to see if these fish will spawn in it. So the fish survived the change but the verdict is still out whether they are "thriving". :confused:
So the question is: What determines "Ideal" conditions?

Great post.
I agree with 99% of it, the only issue being the criteria to determine if fish are thriving as opposed to surviving.
I think Andy hit it on the head.
If your fish are spawning, then the parameters are good, maybe not an ideal replication of their natural habitat, but if fish are spawning, I would venture that is an indication that they are "thriving".
The thing that gets me is when people assign human emotions to the fish as a determination of there health and vitality.

Plus I would also venture a guess that the number of generations for the popular captive bred fish, and there are a LOT of them, is more in the thousands of generations, not hundreds.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it.

I just wanted to add that the FL farm fish, in outdoor ponds, etc, are not necessarily kept in hard water either.

For starters, Florida fish farmers do not necessarily have hard water.
I would edit this section if I could but I must be past the period of time I can edit that post.

Second is in regards to breeding fish. Having been breeding fish for well over 45 years, the one main feature that I have found to be true always is that if the fish are not in the best of health they do not breed. Even given the best of water conditions, unhealthy fish will not breed. It is my opinion that breeding IS a good measure of a fishes actual health. I see this whenever I change a fish's feeding schedule or food types. Reduction of these things leads to the fish not spawning, at least for me. Is this proof positive? NO, but it sure seems to be. ;)
I believe there is a lot of variability here. The easiest one to explain is the fishes themselves. There are certainly species of fish that breed under virtually any conditions, there are others which require exacting conditions and many species somewhere in the middle. Take mbuna cichlids from the African rift lakes as an example. Other than keeping them away from the fish of opposite sex, I have never found a way to stop them from spawning.

The second thing that I think many people are familiar with is that there is a certain degree of luck in spawning. How many times over the years have you worked to provide the ideal environment to a difficult fish only to see someone else spawn them in absurd conditions which were clearly not ideal for the fish. Those people won't have repeatable success but there is no denying that the fish are spawning.

Next would be the problem of fish which are conditioned to spawn in certain circumstances which may not be conducive to long term health. For example, fish which like to spawn in water that is colder or warmer than their normal conditions.

In summary, my general belief is that when working with moderate to difficult fish of certain species you many need to provide close to ideal conditions to have repeatable success. However, spawning success by itself does not necessarily determine ideal conditions.

So the question is: What determines "Ideal" conditions?
I would define "ideal conditions" as an environment that provides long-term wellness for the fish. But, like everyone else, I know of no discrete way to measure this. I suppose the best we have is trial and error. What makes it difficult is the number of variables involved. I think many of our fishkeeping myths originate from trial and error where multiple variables were changing and we attributed the change to the wrong variable. I think that our continually expanding understanding of what the underlying variables are is giving us better decision making here but it is still not perfect.

I believe there is a lot of variability here. The easiest one to explain is the fishes themselves. There are certainly species of fish that breed under virtually any conditions, there are others which require exacting conditions and many species somewhere in the middle. Take mbuna cichlids from the African rift lakes as an example. Other than keeping them away from the fish of opposite sex, I have never found a way to stop them from spawning.

The second thing that I think many people are familiar with is that there is a certain degree of luck in spawning. How many times over the years have you worked to provide the ideal environment to a difficult fish only to see someone else spawn them in absurd conditions which were clearly not ideal for the fish. Those people won't have repeatable success but there is no denying that the fish are spawning.

Next would be the problem of fish which are conditioned to spawn in certain circumstances which may not be conducive to long term health. For example, fish which like to spawn in water that is colder or warmer than their normal conditions.

In summary, my general belief is that when working with moderate to difficult fish of certain species you many need to provide close to ideal conditions to have repeatable success. However, spawning success by itself does not necessarily determine ideal conditions.

Here again, I think we've moved into an area that is definitely a grey area. I've seen lots of people over the years argue about water parameters, because their fish were in less than ideal water parameters, but were breeding, therefore they must be "happy and healthy." One of the things we have to keep in mind, in addition to the variety of fish themselves, is the instinctive nature of all living organisms to ensure the continuation of the species. What this means in simple terms, is that organisms that are in less than ideal situations, and about to gasp out their last breath (or at least close to it), will often reproduce in an effort to ensure that the species continues. Now that probably isn't ideally worded, and I'm not trying to say that these organisms are thinking "species must survive, must make babies." However this instinctive reproduction is well documented with many living organisms in both the plant and animal kingdoms. Many orchid species for example will only flower in captivity if we deprive them of water to the point where they are on the verge of expiring due to desiccation. Certainly not reproduction occurring because they have "ideal" conditions, and not the conditions under which they would normally reproduce in nature. The same is true of many fish species; I've seen the bottle biology experiment done and have witnessed guppies spawning inside the bottles. Nobody in the world is going to convince me that the conditions inside a 2-liter bottle are "ideal" for those fish, yet they are reproducing.

good points about spawning, except livebearers, they are all horny little buggers LOL

This may sound weird, arrogant, whatever, but over the years and having worked in the industry, I have developed a keen "sense" of whether a fish is doing good or not merely by observing them.
It isn't something that can really be put into words, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
I guess that is what I personally use as a criteria after all the basics are covered; are the fish behaving "naturally"?
Example:
I was recently chastised in another thread over the number of cardinals I have in a ten gallon and the apparent lack of space for them.
But in nature cardinals really only school when moving en masse from one locale to another or in the presence of a threat. In a well planted area/tank with no threats, they tend to not school, but hang out in small clusters of 2-4 and are generally sedate and do not swim constantly.

If I did not understand this and how the fish behaves naturally under differing conditions, then I too would have been concerned that there wasn't enough "swimming room".
Sure those huge schools swimming back and forth in unison at the store look great, but they are only doing that because the fish are terrified!

So for me it is replicating the fishes natural habitat as close as possible.
I will say I have veered away from the idea of "community" tanks because it is better to keep species from the same waters/locales together and that way it's easier and better to replicate their particular biome.

Dalto, Please don't think I am trying to argue with your post. I am just trying to clarify some things I have experienced. As Renegade points out, there is a lot of "grey" areas when it comes to keeping tropical fish. Starting with the fish themselves. This is where proper or improper wording may play a role in confusion.
What I do know is that when breeding fish for a living, "luck" plays no role in it. It is a skill that requires knowledge of the fish themselves as well as what it takes for them to breed repeatedly. And this is where "The fish themselves" comes into play. What I tried to point out is that my domesticated fish, under one circumstance, did not "perform" while the other same type fish, under the same circumstance, did. This means that what was "ideal" for one wasn't ideal for a similar one. I can also associate this with the tank bred and raised fishes VS the wild caught fish. It has been my experience that wild caught fish need similar conditions to their wild habitat to spawn while their offspring, now considered tank raised, can be bred in different conditions possibly due to their lack of wild experiences. This is why the word "Ideal" can become confusing. As for those where "luck" had their fish spawn once, if the conditions were ideal or correct, why didn't the fish spawn again? Sometimes, little things like a temperature drop from a water change creates an "ideal" condition for spawning where once that new water has been diluted into the main water of the tank, does not have the same properties that created those "ideal" spawning conditions. I've tried asking my fish " So, What's the dif? but got no answer in a language I could understand. (LOL) Sorry, was having a funny moment :flowers:

As per your experience with your Mbunas, have you tried breeding them in either low PH waters or soft water or both low PH , soft water? This is not what I understand to be "ideal" conditions for these fish. In fact, after contacting an old friend who was an African Cichlid breeder in NY, he told me that under those conditions, his fish generally died or at best did not respond well. Forget about getting fry from them. So if your fish are wild fish that are breeding under these adverse conditions, it definitely would change things. (y)

As for the hard to spawn fish, why this is true, them being hard to breed, may be part of the mysteries of fish life. Why do some fish spawn frequently when others live only to spawn once? Some fish may have adapted through their creator( this is not a comment towards religious beliefs) that they need to be flexible so that their genetics can can be carried forward under the dire circumstances that they live in while other fish may have been "given" or evolved in areas where reproduction was not going to be a challenging thing for them so they get to be choosey. Why do some fish scatter eggs while other lay eggs in nests while others lay eggs in bubbles while others produce live offspring? Why do Pacific Salmon only get to breed once while their Atlantic counterparts get to breed repeatedly? Why do some aquarium fish mouth brood while others eat their young? All parts of the mysteries of fish. Some things that will not have definite answers, only human hypotheses.

So, as the aquarium hobby moves forward on, there needs to be understanding of the needs of fish while keeping in mind that those needs change based on the origins of the fish (wild VS tank raised) making an absolute answer impossible. That's all I was saying ( and I believe you were saying). Your post brought out some of those issues but I felt, fell short of the differentials. (y)

What a fantastic, thoughtful post. I'm not nearly experienced enough to really comment, but it really makes sense.

It feels as though no matter how much I learn, there's always so much more I don't really understand. In the beginning, just the basics of the nitrogen cycle, what the bacteria do and how fast they reproduce etc felt like rocket science, and I felt like a real expert for "getting" it. Then I realized - hold on - pH and KH also play a part in that process, so i try to understand that...and at each point, I look up and see so much more that still doesn't make sense to me.

I think my problem is that I don't understand the chemistry of how pH, KH and GH. I understand it in a very basic way, but not really. And I think that is exactly the problem with this infinite adaptable idea.

The belief in infinite adaptability is a "good enough" solution for a lot of people like me who don't yet understand exactly how to control their water conditions. I don't mean this as a justification of that belief at all - I think it's very important to question it as you've done and understand that it is essentially incorrect.

What I mean is that I'm pretty sure that if I tried to "fix" my water at the moment, with my way-less-than-perfect understanding, I'd probably end up killing my fish, so in this case, stable is better than perfect. But it does also mean that I've got to learn more so that I don't have to put up with "good enough."

The learning curve seems to get steeper. I've gone from truly dreadful ignoramus who pretty much kills everything but the toughest fish, to being able to keep my fish ALIVE and feeling good about that because I understand the basics. Now I'm catching my breath and looking up at the rest of the slope I'll have to scale now, to get to the next level.

As per your experience with your Mbunas, have you tried breeding them in either low PH waters or soft water or both low PH , soft water? This is not what I understand to be "ideal" conditions for these fish. In fact, after contacting an old friend who was an African Cichlid breeder in NY, he told me that under those conditions, his fish generally died or at best did not respond well. Forget about getting fry from them.
I have not seen them kept in soft, acidic water because in this area it takes work to make water like that. However, I have seen mbuna tanks where half the fish were spawning and the other half were dying from the elevated nitrate levels because the tank had never had a water change. In this case it was not the origin of the water that was the problem it was the care, or lack of care, that the fish were receiving.

I think my problem is that I don't understand the chemistry of how pH, KH and GH. I understand it in a very basic way, but not really. And I think that is exactly the problem with this infinite adaptable idea.

The belief in infinite adaptability is a "good enough" solution for a lot of people like me who don't yet understand exactly how to control their water conditions. I don't mean this as a justification of that belief at all - I think it's very important to question it as you've done and understand that it is essentially incorrect.

What I mean is that I'm pretty sure that if I tried to "fix" my water at the moment, with my way-less-than-perfect understanding, I'd probably end up killing my fish, so in this case, stable is better than perfect. But it does also mean that I've got to learn more so that I don't have to put up with "good enough."
I think you have a better grasp on GH, KH and pH than most people do. :)

The trick to changing your water chemistry is understanding how KH effects pH and knowing that it is easy to raise TDS and very difficult to lower it.

If you are trying to take very hard, alkaline water and turn it into soft, acidic water you should just accept that you will need an RO unit or a different water source. If you are trying to do the opposite, it can be done pretty easily and safely with additives. If you water is in the middle there are probably numerous options available to you.

Last edited:
The water where I live is so soft that I can't keep rift lake cichlids alive without the use of buffer (I've tried). Even in a tank full of holey rock and aragonite sand, the pH won't go above 7.4, and once I killed an entire tank of Julidochromis filling the tank from the tap like I always do- the new water was just too different from what was in the tank. I was always a staunch proponent of the "fish can adapt, so don't mess with the water chemistry" idea, until I actually experienced living somewhere that it isn't possible. LOL. I still fill from the tap, I just add the buffer while the tank is filling.

I have not seen them kept in soft, acidic water because in this area it takes work to make water like that. However, I have seen mbuna tanks where half the fish were spawning and the other half were dying from the elevated nitrate levels because the tank had never had a water change. In this case it was not the origin of the water that was the problem it was the care, or lack of care, that the fish were receiving.

I'm not trying to :deadhorse: but I have to wonder, since no specifics were given as to the nitrate levels, is it possible that the fish that were dying were in fact being killed off by the fish that were spawning? That IS typical cichlid behavior as I know it.
Also, in a tank where no water changes are being done, and nitrates accumulate, if there is algae present in the tank ( a typical side effect of no water changes and higher nitrate levels) , it might be consuming the nitrates and while the tank might look nasty and dirty, the water, in fact, was being naturally cleaned by the algae so the actual level wasn't as high it might be without the algae?
Just tossing that out there :huh:

Back
Top Bottom