The gift that keeps giving....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Outlandish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, new here. My daughter received a 20 gallon aquarium as a gift last July, 2010. She bought 5 angels - 1", 2 pictus catfish - 1.5", 2 blue dragon goby eels - 2 columbian sharks - 2" and 2 pleco - 1.75". I kept saying "too many fish" but who listens to dad, lol. A dominant male angel nicknamed "Killer" had eliminated 3 angel competitors and selected the last as his mate. By October everybody had grown dramatically causing some research and learning these bad boys were going to get big.

A 55 gallon tank was acquired and introduction of live plants along with their parasites, snails. Angels started spawning, plectos kept on cleaning, sharks mad for bubbles and pictus protecting their territory. After a weekend away during which a power failure occurred and a failed check valve killed our air pump. Turns out the mad sharks weren't crazy for bubbles but needed a lot more oxygen. Their replacements, to add a little color, were a school of 5 - .75" barbs. The snails that we would crunch and feed the angels soon disappeared. :zook:

Baby barbs were found in the filter, a Eheim 2222, and were saved and placed in a .5 gallon tank. The angels were given a new home a 35 gal. tank on their own. (MTS?) Soon killer had sprayed everything in the tank. The barbs kept reproducing, the larger fry were trying to eat the younger ones, just like parenting one would say. Having only one auto-feeder all were placed in the 55 gal tank for a week. Sunshine soon started decreasing in size and passed :cry: as Killer became over-protective.:troop:

In 8 months we have grown!

We now have have a 55 gallon with:
7 Rosy Barbs - 2.5"
2 Pictus - 6"
2 Pleco - 9"
2 Blue Dragon Goby Eels - 14"
1 Golden Marble Angel - 7"

These monsters, one must admit, are a pleasure to watch but now we're in need of filter upgrades. Now thinking of a fuidized sand filter, a fluidized K1 media filter and the trading of fish since a bigger tank is not an option, MOM!

If you haven't fallen asleep by now and have any thoughts, hurt me! :crazyeyes:Thanks

From what I've learned, Angelfish are a part of the cichlid family and thou usually not aggressive, however, like ALL fish they will eat any fish that they can fit into their mouths...

Oh man, I bet that angel is GORGEOUS!

I've never kept the dragon gobies, but they are sure interesting looking little critters. Do you have pics?!

...I'm too addicted to this for it to be healthy...

Welcome aboard! I just joined here and have learned so much, everyone seems friendly
One thing I can tell is your obviously overstocked (as you kind of mentioned)... pleco's can grow up to 2 feet and their MINIMUM requirement is 55 gallons each. It sounds like you definately need a MUCH bigger aquarium. or need to lose a ton of the fish :( Can you convince her in any way to let you buy a bigger tank? Because the eels also need 55 gallons each and 30 gallons for the angelfish... your looking at 240 gallon tank. which is ridiculously huge. of course I'm sure you can cut back on a few gallons because they can share SOME space...
I think its time you sweet talk her into giving permission for you to get this. giant aquariums are absolutely gorgeous. I recently bought a 50 gallon tank for my goldfish (which I know is still too small but they're only two inches so I have a year or two before I upgrade) my parents were against the idea but now they see how gorgeous a tank can look. I say take the piano out of the living room and get your gorgeous fish, theyre so relaxing to look at :) Otherwise you're definately going to need to cut back on your fish :( ... it's truely a tough decision but for the benefit of the fish, it's a decision you and your wife will have to discuss.
Anyways I just joined so I could be wrong about a few things, but the experts on here are SUPER friendly and can help you solve your problem =]
welcome again!

Sound advice - still practicing avoidance - maybe denial

Thanks for the warm Welcome, I have a sister in Sechelt, BC. The
girls are not wanting to part with them no matter how much I beg. As a result I do alot of cleaning, lol. That's why I'm looking at more/better/improved filtering systems.

Welcome aboard! I just joined here and have learned so much, everyone seems friendly
One thing I can tell is your obviously overstocked (as you kind of mentioned)... pleco's can grow up to 2 feet and their MINIMUM requirement is 55 gallons each. It sounds like you definately need a MUCH bigger aquarium. or need to lose a ton of the fish :( Can you convince her in any way to let you buy a bigger tank? Because the eels also need 55 gallons each and 30 gallons for the angelfish... your looking at 240 gallon tank. which is ridiculously huge. of course I'm sure you can cut back on a few gallons because they can share SOME space...
I think its time you sweet talk her into giving permission for you to get this. giant aquariums are absolutely gorgeous. I recently bought a 50 gallon tank for my goldfish (which I know is still too small but they're only two inches so I have a year or two before I upgrade) my parents were against the idea but now they see how gorgeous a tank can look. I say take the piano out of the living room and get your gorgeous fish, theyre so relaxing to look at :) Otherwise you're definately going to need to cut back on your fish :( ... it's truely a tough decision but for the benefit of the fish, it's a decision you and your wife will have to discuss.
Anyways I just joined so I could be wrong about a few things, but the experts on here are SUPER friendly and can help you solve your problem =]
welcome again!

Great news

Got the girls to agree to trade the now 11" plecos for 3 x 6" angels, their body mass half the size of ours. Killer is nasty though. Obviously 2 are females and 1 is a male. Killer rules the roust. He keeps 1 female at each end of the tank and the male in hiding at center. He certainly is getting exercise courting at both ends and chasing in between constantly attacking everyone. I found a solution! Kept him overnight secluded to give the new arrivals a chance to establish but he kept up the same behavior for 3 days. I remembered my daughter's first fish a Betta that she would exercise with a mirror. I tried one and it kept him busy while the others had a break. I placed a 48" X 20" mirror at the back of the tank with smaller ones on the sides. Now killer is really busy chasing and attacking himself, lol!

Since the plecos are gone the plants are flourishing but we are now looking for 2 Zebra plecos L-46 or dwarf plecos, any ideas anyone?

How about a couple of bristle-nose plec's at adult size around 4"
There's a whole lot of similar and smaller fish that could be contenders, like otto's or pit-bull plec's. I once had a golden algae eater that I reckon even 'killer' would think twice ! Don't rule out siamese flying fox, they too are an active bottom dweller that are interesting.
Funny you should mention isolation to 'teach' your angel some manners, I have a golden gourami who thought he was IT and terrorised the other inhabitants, 3hrs in isolation and adjustment of the plants & decor, when he re-joined it was like I had traded him in for his peaceful brother !!

I agree with the bristlenose, but as a clean up crew, have you checked out orange laser cories?

Or them :)
I don't know how shrimps might fare among your more adult sized fish, but I find them entertaining too. Minimal bio-load, so a small army of them (unless they are likely to become live food for your current stock).

Thanks AquaOne and HomeDog98. Looks like Coreys are out, my little darling no like. No local Bristlenose in our vicinity but did find some Clown plecos so we grabbed a couple of 1.5 inchers this morning at the lfs. Killer has been stalking his new prey. A local fish club member has BN fry .5" we'll keep in touch and see what they turn out like or go to the bid city, Detroit or Toronto, and see what we can find in the fancy BN plecos.

Bad news, we had a 42 hr power failure while we were away on vacation and all are dead. Time to startover..... 4 bristlenose Albino plecos and the rest to be decided. Anyone have experience with pigeon blood discus or other suggestions, looking for large colorful freshwater fish!

Glad your here, that was the most interesting read ive had in a long time..sorry about your fish but starting over is always kinda cool..(I think half the reason I love this hobby is that it satisfies my instinctive need to build things and as long as I'm plinking around in my tank the truck is safe...)

Back
Top Bottom