The good and the bad going on with my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogyspond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I have got a 36 gallon bow with 7 Neo Plunkers "daffodils" and they have been in the tank for three months.

The bad news is In the last few weeks I have had this explosion of red hair like algae. I am doing a 10-20% water change every three or four days and turned the lights down to 7 hours a day. My water reads 0 ammonium, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 8.4 pH and temp at 82. But I am loosing the battle with the algae. What should I do different to help the tank? I use the ATI liquid water tester.

The good news is one of them has given birth to the tanks first Bach of fry. I tried to get the little guys into a protective nest. But can not catch them. Has anyone got ideas to catch the little one before they become dinner.

Thank you so much

Scott

Okay I have got a 36 gallon bow with 7 Neo Plunkers "daffodils" and they have been in the tank for three months.

The bad news is In the last few weeks I have had this explosion of red hair like algae. I am doing a 10-20% water change every three or four days and turned the lights down to 7 hours a day. My water reads 0 ammonium, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 8.4 pH and temp at 82. But I am loosing the battle with the algae. What should I do different to help the tank? I use the ATI liquid water tester.

The good news is one of them has given birth to the tanks first Bach of fry. I tried to get the little guys into a protective nest. But can not catch them. Has anyone got ideas to catch the little one before they become dinner.

Thank you so much

Scott

Your nitrAte is a 0 reading? If so, then your tank isn't cycled yet. If so, they this may be the reason for the red hair like algae. Congrats on your fry though!!

The tank has been up and going for almost six months and it do a few cycles before I added the fish in January. What would cause it to go through another cycle in this stage?

Back
Top Bottom