The great frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerinanyon

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a year ago, I purchased my first coral for $10. Which was this little acan. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395172588.180765.jpg
His name is sprouts.

After a while it started growing some heads. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395172615.398867.jpg

Now sprouts has about probably 30 heads. But does not want to leave the frag plate. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395172725.036706.jpg
So I was thinking about fragging it. I don't have a special saw or anything. And it will be my first time fragging. Is it possible to use a chisel and a hammer and cut the skeleton around the heads?

Also I bought a green acan and put it next to him. And he started turning green ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395172814.817810.jpg. If I can do this with a chisel I will be able to share sprouts, my first coral experience, with friends and trade around.

Mr. X I can't see the frag plate anymore because of the skeleton growing all around it and on the sides. And it won't grow off of the plate for some weird reason

What do you mean it won't grow off the plate? It won't attach to anything else? It will eventually grow outward and the skeleton will follow underneath.

Not that "sprouts" isn't an acan but the size of the polyps sure looks a lot like a candycane. Also FYI the green acan beside sprouts isn't an acan, that's a duncan.

There is a green acan to the right of the Duncan. And "sprouts" is definitely an acan

Never said sprouts wasn't just that it being as extended as it is resembles a candy can. I don't see a green acan in the pictures just the duncan.

Not the Duncan haha. The acan. And it's clearly green on the right

All good advice, but nobody has asked the obvious question. Sprouts? I started a thread last year "I don't name my fish, but I know you do". Now it sounds as of we need to add coral friends.

I think if you take a toothbrush and regularly brush around the acan you can help to encourage it to attach to the rock.

All good advice, but nobody has asked the obvious question. Sprouts? I started a thread last year "I don't name my fish, but I know you do". Now it sounds as of we need to add coral friends.

Everything in my tank has a name haha

Back
Top Bottom