The Great Snail Escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was telling my husband about nerite snails last night and if he'd like to get one and he said "won't the snail just crawl out of that big gap in the back of the hood?" I told him I had not heard of snails crawling out of the tank. I have heard of snails trying to escape the water if the parameters are off/wrong.

So my question to you guys (thanks, dear >_<) Do/will snails crawl out of the tank to go hang out someplace else in my house (ew)?

My snails dont last long enough to get out ^.^ Thanks loaches lol

But they will scale the glass up top. i dont think they can get over the rim though...

Apple snails are known to be escape artists. <They often sky dive off the top of your tank & crack their shells.>

I don't know if nerites will try to escape, but being an inter-tidal species, I would think it is a possibility.

To prevent snails from escaping, you can cover up the gap in the tank. you can use some egg crate <the plastic light diffuser> or maybe those plastic grid things for yarn crafts. (Sorry, don't know the name of that!)

I've had my apple snail for about 2 months now and he hasn't attempted to escape yet. I have a small hole in the top of my hood and he has gone nowhere near it. But just incase i'm going to cover that hole now especially since my RTS is starting to become a jumper.

Back
Top Bottom